Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Tokai :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pickups covers on for some guitars and off for others. My ES for example, has them on and I think it'd look rather willy with them off. I put uncovered zebra pickups in my LS-150 (matte VF flame) and I think they look badass. To each their own I guess. But at the end of the day, pickup covers or not, you have one very sweet looking guitar! Congrats!

Jason

P.S. I'm a big fan of taking the pickguard off a Les Paul. I think they just look so much nicer without. Just my 2c.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratmoto wrote:
They are a nice looking guitar.

So, how much did it cost, all up, including the fret level, etc?

Its about 1.5k AUD all up from what i can remember on top of my head, guitar+case+shipping+setup. Money well spent id say, even though i couldve gotten a higher end Tokai with the same money

on a side note: the handle of the case, one of the screw/nail thingy broke and came off after some carrying around and i had to fix it myself. That was quite some trouble. Now i really want one of those SKB case: http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=610&o=&offset=1&c=82&s=75

Big Willie Style wrote:
I like pickups covers on for some guitars and off for others. My ES for example, has them on and I think it'd look rather willy with them off. I put uncovered zebra pickups in my LS-150 (matte VF flame) and I think they look badass. To each their own I guess. But at the end of the day, pickup covers or not, you have one very sweet looking guitar! Congrats!

Jason

P.S. I'm a big fan of taking the pickguard off a Les Paul. I think they just look so much nicer without. Just my 2c.

Thanks Jason! yeah it really depends on the guitar and personal reference. Anyway, after playing the guitar heaps for the last couple days i find the stock pickups to be too muddy to my liking when distorted so im planning to order a set of SD slash signature alnico2 pickups and replace the stock ones (theyre gonna be zebra/ rv zebra jason )
I think i actually prefer the look of the pickguard on a lemon drop finish guitar so i might put it back on soon. The only thing thats stopping me from do it is because i dont like the feel of playing with a pickguard installed

P.S. oh guys, ive got myself a new Blackstar HT60 combo loving it so far Now i need to get myself some real pedals for the first time
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the neck too muddy in mine too so I replaced them with a set of LeoSounds Growldogs. Check them out online. They sound great and are probably around the same price for a set of handwound pickups as the SD Slash.

Funny about pickups and personal tastes - the same MKII's came in my '02 ES-120, my '05 LS-150 and my '07 SG-155. I found them to be muddy in my LS, shrill in the SG, but perfect in the ES.

Jason
messer
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a new Tokai, don't wrap strings dude. Tailpiece and it's screws are bad quality in low Tokai models, they are too soft. Screws bend and strings dig into the edges of tailpiece.
IME it's not worth it. But I would try to screw all the way down tailpiece's screws to prevent their bending.
Buy a better tailpiece and locking kit if you want to wrap.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messer wrote:
But I would try to screw all the way down tailpiece's screws to prevent their bending.

They're not that soft and I doubt he's playing 12's or larger strings on it. I've never bent tailpiece studs.

You should screw down the tailpiece studs so that the strings just clear the backside of the bridge frame (should be able to slip a piece of paper between the strings and the bridge frame)

Strings resting on the frame kill the transfer of the string vibration between the beginning point ( nut and tuning keys) to the end point (tailpiece)
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willie Style wrote:
I found the neck too muddy in mine too so I replaced them with a set of LeoSounds Growldogs. Check them out online. They sound great and are probably around the same price for a set of handwound pickups as the SD Slash.

I actually find the neck to be okay on distortion but its very muddy on the bridge since i use the bridge mainly for crunchy rhythm and neck for some creamy solos. I just realized i have bass all the way down all my amp's clean settings
Ive listened to couple demos on the Growldogs and the Creamgem models and found them sound quite the same to my ears? I liked their bridge tone very much but i wouldnt get one for the neck. I think i will stick with my SD slash pickup plans for now
Big Willie Style wrote:
Funny about pickups and personal tastes - the same MKII's came in my '02 ES-120, my '05 LS-150 and my '07 SG-155. I found them to be muddy in my LS, shrill in the SG, but perfect in the ES.

Jason

I actually find them very bright on the neck. Bright and muddy? Id say the ES actually balanced out the muddyness and gave it a good blend of trebles, or the other way around.
messer wrote:
If it's a new Tokai, don't wrap strings dude. Tailpiece and it's screws are bad quality in low Tokai models, they are too soft. Screws bend and strings dig into the edges of tailpiece.
IME it's not worth it. But I would try to screw all the way down tailpiece's screws to prevent their bending.

I wont be doing tail wrap any time soon as for now and i doubt the Tokai's bridge would be too soft. Like marcus said i dont use 12's, only 10's. But i am planning to swap in a aluminium tail piece when the store has it in stock. Other than that and the pickups, i think i will leave the hardwares alone now.

Marcus, took me awhile to understand what youre trying to say but now i get it. Ill definitely keep that in mind if i do ever want to try some tail wrapping business
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:

Marcus, took me awhile to understand what youre trying to say but now i get it. Ill definitely keep that in mind if i do ever want to try some tail wrapping business

The distance between the strings and the bridge frame is probably more applicable to a non wrap, standard tailpiece set up.

The reason being that when you wrap the strings, the strings are much higher from the tailpiece to the bridge.... thus greatly reducing the angle where the strings meet the saddles. In many cases, with a top wrap, you can pretty much screw the tailpiece all the way down and the strings won't even be near the bridge frame - which is fine. You just don't want the strings resting on the bridge frame after they pass thru the saddles.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

messer wrote:

The whole point about top wrapping your strings over the top of the tail piece is so you can screw the tail piece all the way down on to the top of the body, without the strings touching the frame of the ABR...

On most LPs (except for the ones with very shallow neck angles) you cannot get the tail piece down onto the body without hitting the ABR frame and/or totally ruining the tone IMO.

There is virtually zero danger of bending the tail piece screws using this set up, no matter how crap they are. However, it is true that top wrapping strings in the longer term will firstly mark your aluminium tail piece, and later on make grooves in it. Steel strings are harder than aluminium so it was always gonna happen.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the reason now that i dont want to do the wrapping yet is because after some research i find that it takes more effort to do vibros and i didnt like that idea much. Apparently it also makes palm muting more comfort but i dont think thats enough for compensation. They also said screw the bridge down increases the sustain but sometimes you can miss your sweet spot? something to do with the string angles being not similar to the string angle from nut to tunnning keys
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are over analyzing it. Play it for awhile, wrap it for one series of strings and see what you think.... it's not going to hurt the guitar. Trust me.

Vibrato's are actually easier because wrapping the tailpiece once again, reduces the angle against the saddles. The strings actually feel slinkier and bend with ease.

Sweet spot? Alot of that comes from your hands..... it's not a golf club.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay marcus i will take your words and give it a try next time i restring it.

When i said it takes a lot more effort to do vibrato's i meant it will take a lot more effort to get the same vibrato effect when compare to non wrap around since the string tensions are now less? but yeah, i will try and find out.
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:

Sweet spot? Alot of that comes from your hands..... it's not a golf club.

LMAO!
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:
When i said it takes a lot more effort to do vibrato's i meant it will take a lot more effort to get the same vibrato effect when compare to non wrap around since the string tensions are now less?

Not sure what you're saying here. When you top wrap it feels like you've gone down a guage so if you find vibrato harder on light strings then yes, top wrapping makes vibrato harder.

Personally I don't like top wrapping but it does feel different and the palm muting thing does make sense. If you do decide to experiment bear in mind that it will start to mark your tailpiece immediately.

I was told by a tech I respect that the 'sweet spot' is just the furthest you can screw down the tailpiece without the strings touching the bridge body. I know there are other definitions but the one you were told sounds like tone junkie snake oil (IMO natch).
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
warxy wrote:
When i said it takes a lot more effort to do vibrato's i meant it will take a lot more effort to get the same vibrato effect when compare to non wrap around since the string tensions are now less?

Not sure what you're saying here. When you top wrap it feels like you've gone down a guage so if you find vibrato harder on light strings then yes, top wrapping makes vibrato harder.

Personally I don't like top wrapping but it does feel different and the palm muting thing does make sense. If you do decide to experiment bear in mind that it will start to mark your tailpiece immediately.

I was told by a tech I respect that the 'sweet spot' is just the furthest you can screw down the tailpiece without the strings touching the bridge body. I know there are other definitions but the one you were told sounds like tone junkie snake oil (IMO natch).

That's what I meant to say..... didn't mean to be a smart ass about the sweet spot comment.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 - i dont really mind about marks if they do come up as i will be replacing the tail piece hopefully soon anyway.

I was doing some googles a while back about tail wrapping and on i think it was mylespaul forum, some folk said that the sweet spot is where you have your strings - bridge - tail piece angle roughly the same to strings - nut - tunning pole thingys. basically the angles at the point where the strings bend. Sorry if i didnt explained it good enough

But that really doesnt concern me much for the moment as i am not a good guitarist enough to hear those difference anyway. Some day i will..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: