Tokai's on eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyI

Reaction score
First post! I see two Tokai acoustics (J-45s) on eBay for auction. One is a Sunburst and one is Cherry. They are both made in Korea. Are the Korean models not as good (sound/construction) as the Japanese models? Should an individual search out an old Japanese D-28 model? Anyone ever dealt with this seller before? I really want a Gibson acoustic but they are now way out of my price range. Any help would be cool.

Cheers,
John

Last week I picked up a Tokai Model 32 acoustic which was advertised to be a 70's "lawsuit" type guitar. It has a spruce or cedar top, and mahogany back and sides. Nice wood inlay on the edges and around the soundhole. Its around a "D" size although not an exact replica of a Martin D-18 or D-28. My brother, the luthier, thought it was more the size and shape of an older Gibson. He was impressed with the overall quality and craftmanship and he builds these things. It may need a neck set in the future but at $150 plus original case I consider it a bargain. You just have to be patient with Ebay. No one seems to want the old acoustics that badly. They're a real bargain. Did I mention its nicely balanced tone and sustain?

Will

Latest posts

Back