EGF1200 on German Ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schokosapiens

Reaction score
Here is an EGF1200 on German Ebay - but do not look at the price he's asking, you'll go blind ... or have a good laugh:)

http://cgi.ebay.de/1980-Greco-Super-Real-EGF-1200-honeyburst-OHSC-/230556694274?pt=Gitarren&hash=item35ae3ff702

We were laughing often enough but I am n?t sure if we can do so here...the 1200s sold on ebay in the last year were all on a very high price level.Not as high as this one but the curve is going up.If you see what people pay for a pair of Dry Zs or the original case...
I am speaking about ebay prices,not YJ :wink:

To some extent, the same thing is happening like with the real 59 Les Paul, prices go way beyond the actual value for money, which for the Grecos,I am sure, is actually real good at reasonble price levels, so these guitars become collectors items, too, and may go to people who are not really able to play as good as the guitar "derserves" - only look at the wiring of the strings:) Those who are professional players earning their money with music and who are able to spend this amount of money will go probably for a good Gibson Custom shop guitar you can buy used for the same price.

schokosapiens said:
To some extent, the same thing is happening like with the real 59 Les Paul, prices go way beyond the actual value for money, which for the Grecos,I am sure, is actually real good at reasonble price levels, so these guitars become collectors items, too, and may go to people who are not really able to play as good as the guitar "derserves" - only look at the wiring of the strings:) Those who are professional players earning their money with music and who are able to spend this amount of money will go probably for a good Gibson Custom shop guitar you can buy used for the same price.

I think the professional player would go for whichever plays and sounds better, which in my experience, as a professional player, would be a vintage greco 9 out of 10 times, the feel, the sound, and the overall quality of these older Greco's are consistantly better than most newer custom shop Gibsons, I have owned many of both in my time, and I generally prefer the Greco 1200 to a historic. But there will always be different opinions on this, I think to make a valid judgement you need to have experienced both new and old, many times.

Not to forget the rarity.Less than 500 were build if I am not totally wrong and times where you could find one for 1000 usd are (normally) over.
Dunno how much survived but times will come when those Grecos are even more expensive and then you have to think if you go on stage with such a unique instrument.

schokosapiens said:

Like a van Gogh or a Monet sitting in a safe, a shame. :(

Not at all.As far as I know the 1200s owned by TF members are in use but not in a safe.I even do not own a safe :wink: and played my Greco this morning

You never know,when the price raise and it becomes a collectors item. Let's hope not. My wife is a paintress and makes sculptures,when we go to an art gallery we almost never get to see the original (when it's a masterpiece).
So keep playing them guys!

We will see where the journey goes.Not so many of those are around.The point is that people interested in those guitars notice everytime if one is coming up for sale.Not difficult if only a few are sold every year.If 2 or 3 are offered for let's say 2500 euros the next sellers try to get 100 or 200 more and so on.
I've seen a lot of auctions in the last 2 years and if I would sell mine and actually 2500 are asked I would of course not sell for 2000.Let's wait what happens with the two in fleabay

We should also put these 'high prices' in to perspective, they seem high for an old Japanese Guitar, but for a vintage, rare and top quality great sounding Les Paul it's still quite a bargain :D

Right ! Villager said the highend grecos he played were better than gibsons RIs and as far as I know he had more of those guitars in his hands as most people here.
And check the prices people pay for a RI...

about 8 years ago, I also used to import historics, I had about 100 through my hands, and to begin with I thought they were all wonderfull, but as time went by I began to realise that there were differences in the way I judged different guitars, I always had one or two favourites, which the others couldnt come near to, thats when i started buying Japanese guitars, and began to compare with the gibsons, after a couple of years I switched totally to the vintage MIJ guitars, i found more consistant high quality and great feel in the MIJ's than in the USA guitars, I now own only one historic, and its a cracker!! heh..

some were very nice, all felt ''newer'' but some for me were equal to the newer navigators and high end tokai's, but there is something different about the older guitars, could be the wood, could be the PU's, but they are different, for me the best old guitars are better than the best new ones with one or 2 exceptions, and those are new guitars but made with old wood, so maybe thats why...

but others may prefer the newer guitars, its so subjective, but for me its more about the feel of the guitar, and how fluently I can play on it getting the sounds I want from it, not about the specs so much, although its nice to have one piece back, long tennon solid top etc etc, it doesnt mean that it will feel better or worse for playing..

Unfortunately ive not played a 1200 but I do have a great 850 which if im not mistaken is a pretty similar guitar except for the pickups. Is a 1200 worth around twice as much as an 850/1000? Maybe not based on the playing experience but perhaps for its rarity. If they are rare, good quality and sought after then their worth is not going to decrease any time soon. Wonder what they will be worth 10 years from now?

JohnA said:
We should also put these 'high prices' in to perspective, they seem high for an old Japanese Guitar, but for a vintage, rare and top quality great sounding Les Paul it's still quite a bargain :D

Although I have made good experiences with vintage MIJ guitars so far, I just don't think you can say it's good just because it's old. There are top sounding guitars today and there were in the past. It is all so subjective. Talking about that (vintage) vibe and feel (equals: sound + playing pleasure) it all depends on what the individual player likes. Is there really something like THE Les Paul sound, THE vintage rock sound? I have come across some factory-new guitars so far and instantly felt like I'd been "at home"" for many years, felt the "vibe" and just love it. I bought the guitars that gave me that feeling, and I am still happy with them. I do not think this kinda feeling is just true for old guitars that have been played a lot so that their wood is sort of broken in and more resonant because of the constant playing.
So I don't think you can call it a bargain. There are bargains out there on every age and price level, you just have to be lucky to go to your next dealer, pick a guitar and say, hey, I really like that! I for one would rather be afraid of buying that 1200 at such a price and have very very high expectations (because of the price and because of all the raving on the internet about these guitars) that might not be fulfilled, not because the guitar is actually bad in any sense, but because my personal likings might not fit to that particular guitar, because the expected sound in my head is just not the sound of this one guitar, and you usually can't check it because the seller is located somewhere else. So I personally limit myself when buying on the intenret to a certain price level, although, of course,I am also kind of tempted when seeing an offer on ebay like the one in question:) So I have to restrain myself and hope that the Burny RLG90 I recently bought from Villager will make me smile at a reasonable price level :)

schokosapiens said:
JohnA said:

Although I have made good experiences with vintage MIJ guitars so far, I just don't think you can say it's good just because it's old. There are top sounding guitars today and there were in the past. It is all so subjective. Talking about that (vintage) vibe and feel (equals: sound + playing pleasure) it all depends on what the individual player likes. Is there really something like THE Les Paul sound, THE vintage rock sound? I have come across some factory-new guitars so far and instantly felt like I'd been "at home"" for many years, felt the "vibe" and just love it. I bought the guitars that gave me that feeling, and I am still happy with them. I do not think this kinda feeling is just true for old guitars that have been played a lot so that their wood is sort of broken in and more resonant because of the constant playing.
So I don't think you can call it a bargain. There are bargains out there on every age and price level, you just have to be lucky to go to your next dealer, pick a guitar and say, hey, I really like that! I for one would rather be afraid of buying that 1200 at such a price and have very very high expectations (because of the price and because of all the raving on the internet about these guitars) that might not be fulfilled, not because the guitar is actually bad in any sense, but because my personal likings might not fit to that particular guitar, because the expected sound in my head is just not the sound of this one guitar, and you usually can't check it because the seller is located somewhere else. So I personally limit myself when buying on the intenret to a certain price level, although, of course,I am also kind of tempted when seeing an offer on ebay like the one in question:) So I have to restrain myself and hope that the Burny RLG90 I recently bought from Villager will make me smile at a reasonable price level :)

I've bought my Greco without ever having played one and without knowing the neck and the shape.She came,I plugged into my amp and she blew me away ! :D I like thinner necks more and this one is fat but it was forgotten in one day :lol:

Latest posts

Back