Anyone Know Anything About Early Tokai BANJOs?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apmechling

Reaction score
A.P. Here -

I just got back from one of my shopping sprees in Tokyo, where I could not find one single LS model made before 2000. Kind of sad, really. You'd think there would be lots of them seeing that they were made in Japan to begin with, but MAN, are they scarce now. I go to auctions, look through auctions, have friends looking through auctions and go to every music shop I can, but haven't found more than 2 or 3 pre-1990's Tokai LS models, Springy Sounds, or Goldstar Sounds. :cry:

Are they disappearing, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Anyway, sorry about my overt disappointment, but I wasted my whole day looking for Tokais and only came out with a Zemaitis "Hearts" LP Copy by Bacchus and a Burny Flame Top. :-?

But, the meat and potatoes of this message is that I found 2 very early Tokai Banjos, listed in a renown vintage shop (mostly 1930's Gibson, Regal and National Acoustics) as '70s models.

Both had the signature Tokai headstock inlays you see on '80s Les Pauls, and were pretty cool, overall. One was really ornate, and I THINK had a model number of TRG 650 or something like that - I don't recall exactly what the letters were preceding the number, but I am sure the number was 650 on the one not for sale, but the one for sale was 40,000 yen, which is around $335 USD right now.

I was pretty amazed to see one, but then again, I have 2 7okai tweed champ amp replicas, so nothing surprises me now.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on early Tokai banjos. I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I don't recall seeing anything about one...

Thanks in advance for any input you may have -

Once again, "perfect pitch"! Although I do believe Deering makes a 6 string model that tunes like a guitar, which would be kinda cool...

Hi A.P.

Theres a Tokai banjo in the 1973 catalog on the Registry site:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html#1973

Don't think anyone knows much about them.

By the way, I see you have an 81 ES100J on ebay at the moment. I have the exact same guitar (same year, finsh, etc) and can confirm to anyone who is thinking of making a bid that you want to do it now! (and no I'm not on comission from A.P. :wink: ). They are fabulous guitars and (IMO) some of the best that Tokai made.

James

Oh, and mine has the same blue lined case A.P., so I'd say its original.

Latest posts

Back