Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gibson Limited Release 50's Tribute Les Paul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I see no difference at all in that compared to the 50's version.
Emiel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Sorry but I see no difference at all in that compared to the 50's version.

Only the neck profile is different! '60s compared to '50s...
cashcow
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute
In honor of the final incarnation of the original Les Paul, Gibson USA is proud to present the acclaimed Les Paul Studio in an exciting new package. The new Les Paul Studio ?60s Tribute model embodies the look and tone of the great original Les Pauls from the 1960s, at a price that fits the wallets of today?s hardworking musicians. Ever since its introduction in 1983, the Les Paul Studio model has been enormously popular with players seeking the power and versatility of the original Les Paul Standard in a ready-for-action package, with a price to match. The Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute sticks to the script entirely, but its five worn '50s-style finishes reflect the wear of a well-played guitar and its meaty dual single-coil P-90 pickups give it a look akin to classics from the decade of the Les Paul's birth. Meanwhile, its fast SlimTaper? neck profile reflects the feel of Les Paul Standards from 1960, the year before this legendary solidbody was deleted (temporarily!) from the Gibson lineup."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute.aspx
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess some prefer the 60's necks.... more sales for Gibson I suppose
detroitace
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just picked up one of the 60's tributes and it's very nice.
Aside from the neck, the other difference is the electronics -- the 60's doesn't have the orange drop capacitors. It just has these regular small ones. And the cavity cover isn't see-thru. I may put them in, but I'm not unhappy with the sound.

Still, I really like the guitar. It's taken a little getting used to because I usually don't play a barely finished neck and the fret shape is a little square for me, but it has been worth it. The sound and weight relief aspects are amazing -- it's hard to put it down. P90's are my favorite pickups by far -- woody, crunchy, live, airy ... they have it all.

-- Ace
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitace wrote:
Hi,

I just picked up one of the 60's tributes and it's very nice.
Aside from the neck, the other difference is the electronics -- the 60's doesn't have the orange drop capacitors. It just has these regular small ones. And the cavity cover isn't see-thru. I may put them in, but I'm not unhappy with the sound.

Still, I really like the guitar. It's taken a little getting used to because I usually don't play a barely finished neck and the fret shape is a little square for me, but it has been worth it. The sound and weight relief aspects are amazing -- it's hard to put it down. P90's are my favorite pickups by far -- woody, crunchy, live, airy ... they have it all.

-- Ace

I had a look at these and compared them to my 50's version. Like you said, the body cavity covers aren't see thru. Shame they didn't keep the orange drop caps in them.... but you can always add them. The neck really is pretty comfortable and it's not drastically slimmer than the 50's.

Don't the P90's sound great in it? What finish did you go for? I went for the Faber locking alum tailpiece and studs, Faber tone lock bridge posts and bridge with brass saddles. I also replaced the tuners with some RS Guitarworks aged Kluson tulip tuners..... great guitar.
detroitace
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusneiman wrote:
What finish did you go for? I went for the Faber locking alum tailpiece and studs, Faber tone lock bridge posts and bridge with brass saddles. I also replaced the tuners with some RS Guitarworks aged Kluson tulip tuners..... great guitar.

I went for the worn honey burst and its great. I haven't done any mods to it, yet. I'm waiting a little. I'll probably put some orange drops in soon, though. The tailpiece looks like its ready for wrap-around usage so I may try that to see if sustain increases, but I use a compressor and I'm not I'd be able to tell the difference.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitace wrote:
marcusneiman wrote:
What finish did you go for? I went for the Faber locking alum tailpiece and studs, Faber tone lock bridge posts and bridge with brass saddles. I also replaced the tuners with some RS Guitarworks aged Kluson tulip tuners..... great guitar.

I went for the worn honey burst and its great. I haven't done any mods to it, yet. I'm waiting a little. I'll probably put some orange drops in soon, though. The tailpiece looks like its ready for wrap-around usage so I may try that to see if sustain increases, but I use a compressor and I'm not I'd be able to tell the difference.

Cool.... I went for the Honeyburst as well.... really nice looking with the P90's in it. As I understand, it along with the Goldtop are the two best selling finishes. I didn't go with the goldtop because a goldtop looks like any other goldtop
f5joe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to borrow a '50's honeyburst tribute from one of our forum members. Really neat guitar and sounds very good. But, I opted to buy a Tokai LS-80S from '03 from Mr. Marcus. I just love the traditional '56 LP look. The guitar sounds really nice w/ original pickups and competes well w/ my Gibson Historic LP Special.

Can't have too many LP's.
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5joe wrote:
I was able to borrow a '50's honeyburst tribute from one of our forum members. Really neat guitar and sounds very good. But, I opted to buy a Tokai LS-80S from '03 from Mr. Marcus. I just love the traditional '56 LP look. The guitar sounds really nice w/ original pickups and competes well w/ my Gibson Historic LP Special.

Can't have too many LP's.

Haha.... nicely played Joe...... enjoy the Goldie.
f5joe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an R8 and the Historic LP Special. Wanted an R4 or R6. Your LS-80S fits the bill and at a really nice value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: