Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Know Anything About Early Tokai BANJOs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apmechling
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Anyone Know Anything About Early Tokai BANJOs? Reply with quote

A.P. Here -

I just got back from one of my shopping sprees in Tokyo, where I could not find one single LS model made before 2000. Kind of sad, really. You'd think there would be lots of them seeing that they were made in Japan to begin with, but MAN, are they scarce now. I go to auctions, look through auctions, have friends looking through auctions and go to every music shop I can, but haven't found more than 2 or 3 pre-1990's Tokai LS models, Springy Sounds, or Goldstar Sounds.

Are they disappearing, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Anyway, sorry about my overt disappointment, but I wasted my whole day looking for Tokais and only came out with a Zemaitis "Hearts" LP Copy by Bacchus and a Burny Flame Top.

But, the meat and potatoes of this message is that I found 2 very early Tokai Banjos, listed in a renown vintage shop (mostly 1930's Gibson, Regal and National Acoustics) as '70s models.

Both had the signature Tokai headstock inlays you see on '80s Les Pauls, and were pretty cool, overall. One was really ornate, and I THINK had a model number of TRG 650 or something like that - I don't recall exactly what the letters were preceding the number, but I am sure the number was 650 on the one not for sale, but the one for sale was 40,000 yen, which is around $335 USD right now.

I was pretty amazed to see one, but then again, I have 2 7okai tweed champ amp replicas, so nothing surprises me now.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on early Tokai banjos. I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I don't recall seeing anything about one...

Thanks in advance for any input you may have -
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound great when the accordian lands on them?!
ramsale
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, "perfect pitch"! Although I do believe Deering makes a 6 string model that tunes like a guitar, which would be kinda cool...
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi A.P.

Theres a Tokai banjo in the 1973 catalog on the Registry site:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html#1973

Don't think anyone knows much about them.

By the way, I see you have an 81 ES100J on ebay at the moment. I have the exact same guitar (same year, finsh, etc) and can confirm to anyone who is thinking of making a bid that you want to do it now! (and no I'm not on comission from A.P. ). They are fabulous guitars and (IMO) some of the best that Tokai made.

James

Oh, and mine has the same blue lined case A.P., so I'd say its original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: