Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springy sound versus goldstar
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bambony
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Springy sound versus goldstar Reply with quote

Many apologies if this has been heavily discussed but I could not find it through searching the forum.

Subject says it all but I thought Springy Sounds were the better guitar but I have just seen pictures of Mike's (Stratman) goldies and they look just the same quality.

I am undergoing a bit of Tokai GAS thing and wonder what a Goldie might add to my arsenal.

Many thanks
Breezy TE-70 Block logo '83
Cats Eyes CE 400 '78
Looking for an early 80s Jazz sound
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same guitar, different name! In some respects the Goldies are 'better' they have steel block trems the earlier Spriny Sound's didn't
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's been discussed many times, but it's the question I wanted an answer to when I joined the forum, so I can hardly blame you for asking it too!

A Goldstar is a Springy made a few years later is the simplest explanation. Springys changed a little over their lifetime & so did Goldies, but the difference between a 1982 Springy ST50 & a 1984 Goldstar ST50 is......the decal on the headstock. Simple as that really.

This very good article should answer most of your questions:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/Andrew%20Munro%20Article-July2008.pdf

If you still have any questions after that, let us know.

By the way, please add your location to your profile - it helps to know where you are. Goldstars were more common in some parts of the world than they were in some others, & the models changed too.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed you have a block logo TST50 - I assume it's a Springy? Did you know that a few months after they made yours, they were making identical block logo TST50s that were Goldstars? Shortly after that, they dropped the block logo & brought in the Goldstar script logo that you know.
bambony
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Just noticed you have a block logo TST50 - I assume it's a Springy? Did you know that a few months after they made yours, they were making identical block logo TST50s that were Goldstars? Shortly after that, they dropped the block logo & brought in the Goldstar script logo that you know.

Yes it's a springy I bought for ?160 in '82/'83. I think I even have the receipt somewhere. It has a set of EMGs SAs not for the sound but I was gigging non-stop in the 80s and was sick of stage hum as my tones ranged from ultra clean and funky to Adrian Belew type mutilated but controlled feedback. I might put the originals back in soon as I don't gig anymore.

My location is added and I shall read the article.

Many thanks
Cats Eyes CE 400 '78
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, well if you're in London, you should have a good choice of Goldies available, if you want to buy one.

I bought a new (script logo) Goldie ST50 in Allbang & Strummit in Covent Garden for ?189 in December 1983 - probably one of the first script logo ones to go on sale, though I didn't realise it at the time. Do you remember where you bought yours?
muccax
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i got a 1978 -79-80-81 springy sound and it got 3 goldstars ,,,,, and the body on the older ones are more contured ,,,, after 82 the egdes are more sharp .... dont know if it is?becourse the got a cnc router .... but the older ones are more vintage
all the best
otto
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muccax wrote:
hi
i got a 1978 -79-80-81 springy sound and it got 3 goldstars ,,,,, and the body on the older ones are more contured ,,,, after 82 the egdes are more sharp .... dont know if it is?becourse the got a cnc router .... but the older ones are more vintage
all the best
otto

Interesting - I can't say I've noticed that.
muccax
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
try and find a springy from 79 and compare it to a 83 goldstar
on the ones i got you can easy see what i mean
and from 82 you dont see any st42-50-60 with ash (zen) body
only alder body ,,,
and on the older ones(78-80) the paint sink into the wood ( and it is not nitro i am talking about ) but from 81 the paint looks like the same as greco used ,,,,
that is just my small collection so i might not be tru with all tokai

all the best
otto
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 1980 Springys - they seem to have the same body contours as an '84 Goldie.
bambony
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Cool, well if you're in London, you should have a good choice of Goldies available, if you want to buy one.

I bought a new (script logo) Goldie ST50 in Allbang & Strummit in Covent Garden for ?189 in December 1983 - probably one of the first script logo ones to go on sale, though I didn't realise it at the time. Do you remember where you bought yours?

I remember Allbangs well. I think I bought it in a smallish shop in Romford but I could be completely wrong as I live nowhere near there; they just had the cheapest Tokai Strats at the time I wanted one.

How many Strats do you have Mike? it must be over 10! Is there one that stands out? I played a '66 the other day that a friend bought for ?8,000. I actually wasn't expecting it ot be great not being Pre-CBS but it did have a bit of something magical over my Tokai. Certainly not ?7,500 more... of course in 20 years time his strat will be worth incredible money and the Tokais are barely keeping up with inflation!

I have a Gibson ES335 which has quadrupled in price since I bought it less than 20 years ago.

My love for Tokais is based on the fact that you get an awful lot of guitar for a tiny amount of money and they are hugely playable. The Cat's eyes I have just bought for ?270 including shipping is excellent value. I am after a Tokai Jazz right now.

Tony
Cats Eyes CE 400 '78
bambony
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muccax wrote:
hi
try and find a springy from 79 and compare it to a 83 goldstar
on the ones i got you can easy see what i mean
only alder body ,,,
and on the older ones(78-80) the paint sink into the wood ( and it is not nitro i am talking about ) but from 81 the paint looks like the same as greco used ,,,,

all the best
otto

You are quite the expert Otto! Apart from the contour is there a qualitative difference? Are some of your Tokais significantly better than others or are of similar quality? I find Fenders range quite significantly, or at least they certainly did when I was more into guitars in the late 70s/80s.
Cats Eyes CE 400 '78
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only alder body ,,,
Not true about sen bodied Goldies Otto,check out Mike`s (once mine)natural Goldie If that`s alder I`m a Dane I`ve owned several ash bodied Goldies over the years.If you want see as tripped sen bodied Goldie check the laughingly named La Gioconda,under the heading Raving bonkers..........in the E bay section .Gabe.

all the best
otto[/quote]
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-GoldStar-Sound-Stratocaster-Made-In-Japan-1984_W0QQitemZ110597046845QQcategoryZ112670QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D110591372502%252B110591372502%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5077114479716079374
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by bluejeannot on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: