• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Greco Mint collection EG1000D

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Just found a silverface Super Reverb that I NEED!! Selling off some things to raise the cash!

Fantastic LP, nitro , almost (apart from an inch) 1 piece body, all original, a few small marks on back, but excellent overall, great player/looker/sound, and nice and light. I have original scratchplate and will include with guitar. The marks on the top are just the flash.

?900 ONO + postage

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02045.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

Nice guitar!
It looks like EG1000D but are you sure?
A EG1000 should have a polyester finish & SD APH pups, the EG700 a nitro finish & DRY pups.

jacco said:
Nice guitar!
A EG1000 should have a polyester finish & SD APH pups, the EG700 a nitro finish & DRY pups.

They are SD APH-1's when I bought it the bases were shown in the ad. I thought the EG1000D was nitro?

JohnA said:
jacco said:
Nice guitar!

They are SD APH-1's when I bought it the bases were shown in the ad. I thought the EG1000D was nitro?

Same here. Seems odd that a lower model would get the nitro finish but not the higher one?

JVsearch said:
JohnA said:
jacco said:
Nice guitar!

Same here. Seems odd that a lower model would get the nitro finish but not the higher one?

Yes, that would be logical. But the catalog clearly states that EG600 (plain top & screaming pup) & EG700 (flame top & dry pup) are nitro and EG1000 (flame top & SD pup) is poly.
They do the same thing with the SGs; ALL of them (SS600S, 600P2, 750, 900D with SDs & 1600) are poly except the SS600 with golden hardware which is nitro.
Maybe you should test for nitro?

Couple more shots 1 to show the shape of the frets, 2 the long tenon & SD APH pickups and 3 an area of the neck pocket tested for nitro using acetone on a bit of card and rubbed very lightly, you could feel the area tested was sticky afterwards.

DSC02057.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02055-1.jpg

JohnA said:
...an area of the neck pocket tested for nitro using acetone on a bit of card and rubbed very lightly, you could feel the area tested was sticky afterwards.

So it must definitely be nitro then?

JVsearch said:
JohnA said:
...an area of the neck pocket tested for nitro using acetone on a bit of card and rubbed very lightly, you could feel the area tested was sticky afterwards.

So it must definitely be nitro then?

Looks like it to me, we'll see if anyone else has any opinions.

That indicates nitro indeed, although done very cautious.. why don't you use a q-tip, dip it in the acetone & rub in the pup cav more vigorously to be absolutely sure?

The catalog says the EG1000D has polyester finish, and EG700 & 600 have a urethane finish. As I understand from a Japanese client urethane translates into nitro..

Didnt need to rub vigorously the finish went sticky as soon as the acetone touched it, I don't really want to rub a big hole in the finish

JohnA said:
Didnt need to rub vigorously the finish went sticky as soon as the acetone touched it, I don't really want to rub a big hole in the finish

I thought you liked a natural finish? :wink:

jacco said:
JohnA said:

I do but, I quite like my Greco as it is, a sonic blue respray might just knock a bit off it's value :wink: Wouldn't a sonic blue Les Paul look awful!!

JohnA said:
jacco said:
JohnA said:

I do but, I quite like my Greco as it is, a sonic blue respray might just knock a bit off it's value :wink: Wouldn't a sonic blue Les Paul look awful!!

Yes it would, surf green however..

JohnA said:
jacco said:
JohnA said:

Maybe not quite sonic blue but.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Tokai-Japan-Love-Rock-LP-Blue-Metallic-Top-M-head-/170538924585?pt=Guitar&hash=item27b4e97a29

Back