Orville Les Paul - Collectors nightmare, players dream?

Discussion area for Orville and Orville by Gibson guitars

Moderator: ned

Freebird
Guitar God
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Amherst, New York

Orville Les Paul - Collectors nightmare, players dream?

Post by Freebird » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:59 pm

What the heck is this? Please tell me Orville did not use all these pieces of wood for body and headstock. Is this a FakeOrville?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orville-Gibson-Les- ... 255d760032

barburny
Guitar God
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:10 pm

Post by barburny » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I beleive the owner/seller is a member over at MLP

scooticus
Guitar God
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: Sactown, CA

Post by scooticus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 pm

A refin maybe? And what's up w/the back of the headstock?
Goldtop Fever - there is no cure!

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:19 am

scooticus wrote:A refin maybe? And what's up w/the back of the headstock?
Its a stripped Custom.
Its not the first time I see that kind of seam on a stripped LP from Japan.
A product cost cutter!

Multi piece body and top is also rather common.
Multi piece tops where common on LP from the 50's too (solid colours of course).

t.olsen

Post by t.olsen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Comes with a 12 piece non-bookmatched maple top... :o
Must have been a goldtop before !

Washington Irving
Guitar God
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:45 pm
Location: Poland

Post by Washington Irving » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:34 am

that's why I was always reluctant towards non-transparent coloured guitars...

Freebird
Guitar God
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Amherst, New York

Post by Freebird » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 am

Washington Irving wrote:that's why I was always reluctant towards non-transparent coloured guitars...
Good advice it seems

muccax
Guitar God
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 am
Location: denmark

Post by muccax » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:02 am

hi
look at that head ,,,, it look like the head it is glued on ???????????????
if you look at the pictures of the head from behind
never seen a orville like that :o :o :o :o
all the best
otto

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 am

muccax wrote:hi
look at that head ,,,, it look like the head it is glued on ???????????????
if you look at the pictures of the head from behind
never seen a orville like that :o :o :o :o
all the best
otto
That is how cheaper guitars are built if they have an angled head.
If you look at for example Fernandes or Ibanez you can see that the neck is two piece with the seem around 3rd fret.

Budget budget budget! Of course easy on solid colour guitars cause then it is hidden. I have seen it on Orville, Orville by Gibson, Greco, Burny and plenty of Korean and Chinese axes. So far I have never seen a solid colour Japanese Tokai Stripped so I don't know about them. But the others used this little "trick" at least a couple of times.

Joop
Guitar God
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:05 am
Location: Heemskerk, Holland

Orville Les Paul - Collectors nightmare, players dream?

Post by Joop » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:34 am

Hi Freebird,

When a guitar is modified it is always difficult to say how it once would have been.

The only thing I can say is that I can vouch for the seller. I have bought an Orville from him about 3 years ago, it was perfect, better than he described (the guitar was absolutely mint!).

More recently I bought his ObG ES335, also a mint guitar.

I bought this outside ebay, made a Pds. 500 deposit to reserve the guitar (because I only wanted it a couple of months later) and then made the rest payment. All via banktransfer. No issues whatsoever. Nick is a guy that only picks up guitars that are worth while.. He will never sell fake or crap guitars. So, he is a seller you can definitely trust.

Hope this is of use to you or any other person interested in this guitar.

Cheers!

Joop

soundcreation
Guitar God
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 am

Post by soundcreation » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:42 am

That's all fine and dandy but him thinking it's worth 900+ US is really kind of a joke. Refinish should lower the value not raise it...I don't care if it's oil. by Gibson models can be had at that price range.

If he gets it then more power too him, but who ever buys it is getting ripped off.

Joop
Guitar God
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:05 am
Location: Heemskerk, Holland

Post by Joop » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:59 am

soundcreation wrote:That's all fine and dandy but him thinking it's worth 900+ US is really kind of a joke. Refinish should lower the value not raise it...I don't care if it's oil. by Gibson models can be had at that price range.

If he gets it then more power too him, but who ever buys it is getting ripped off.
Sorry Soundcreation, but you probably haven't looked at prices levels lately... Please inform me of ANY ObG's without scractches and dings for $900+ and I will buy them all!! A person that buys this guitar certainly does not get ripped off especially not with the better harware on it.

Apart from the look that you like or not, bet you that this is a really nice playing and sounding guitar and is that not what it is all about??

Mono
Guitar God
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:31 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by Mono » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:08 am

In all likelihood this was a k-serial Orville that has had the sticker removed. Way overpriced for what it is, IMHO. Lazy MIJ fans may get a kick out of the oil finish but anyone even marginally informed will look elsewhere for a better deal.

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 am

Joop wrote:
soundcreation wrote:That's all fine and dandy but him thinking it's worth 900+ US is really kind of a joke. Refinish should lower the value not raise it...I don't care if it's oil. by Gibson models can be had at that price range.

If he gets it then more power too him, but who ever buys it is getting ripped off.
Sorry Soundcreation, but you probably haven't looked at prices levels lately... Please inform me of ANY ObG's without scractches and dings for $900+ and I will buy them all!! A person that buys this guitar certainly does not get ripped off especially not with the better harware on it.

Apart from the look that you like or not, bet you that this is a really nice playing and sounding guitar and is that not what it is all about??
The point is that someone looking for an ObG is not getting a bargain by buying this guitar, because it must be one of the worst examples out there from a collectable point of view due to the re-finish and the multi piece body and top.

It's value as a an ObG LP really is unknown, and it should be a $1 auction, so the market can decide, IMO.
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

Udonitron
Guitar God
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm
Location: Victoria, BC Canada Eh

Post by Udonitron » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:42 pm

It sold on Yahoo about 1.5 months ago for a 1/3 of his asking price too lol

Post Reply