is this a 59 RI?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portage_60

Reaction score
hopefully the you guys can help on this one. Im trying to see if this is a 59 RI http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Orville-Gibson-59-RI-Les-Paul-curly-maple-top-/110584470878?pt=Guitar&hash=item19bf591d5e

But possibly a veneer top, which makes it a "no buy" for me. It also has a strange look to it as far as the selector switch wiring channel routing visible through the neck pickup cavity. Doesn't look like long tenon either, but maybe I just can't tell from the photo. The finish looks almost too shiny to be nitro, but once again it could just be the photos.

Freebird said:
It also has a strange look to it as far as the selector switch wiring channel routing visible through the neck pickup cavity. Doesn't look like long tenon either, but maybe I just can't tell from the photo. The finish looks almost too shiny to be nitro, but once again it could just be the photos.

Typical Terada wiring channel. Would like to see better neck pics, and a couple pics of the back. From the front, in excellent condition.

Mick51 said:
Freebird said:
It also has a strange look to it as far as the selector switch wiring channel routing visible through the neck pickup cavity. Doesn't look like long tenon either, but maybe I just can't tell from the photo. The finish looks almost too shiny to be nitro, but once again it could just be the photos.

Typical Terada wiring channel. Would like to see better neck pics, and a couple pics of the back. From the front, in excellent condition.

Mick,

Do you think veneer or solid? Villager has a solid top that looks VERY similar.

That guitar just sold for a best offer of $1250 USD. The seller answered a few questions for me before it sold. I'm glad I didn't cave in and do a BIN. I think it is a veneer top by the looks of the control cavity photos
Here are his comments and his link to more photos

"things to be aware of:
- ding on back of neck (it's about 1/4" long, maybe 1/16" deep)
- slight worming on back, but otherwise clean
- 1 ding on corner of headstock
- pix of control cavity show a bit about how the top is constructed. looks like approx. 3/16" of maple laid over a pc. of mahogany? hard to tell, & I'm not a luthier.
- also, the strap buttons in pix are schallers, but I will ship w. gibson strap buttons & keep the schallers.
- note thin binding cutaway
- slight separation of binding on treble side waist. easily repaired w. glue & clamps, but I never bothered. the guitar has been like this since I got it."

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k117/alschnier/orville/

I'll let you know in a week or two. Pics are, at best, inconclusive. The top has never been drilled for a pickguard, just like my 1991 LPS-QM; and, the ObG on Villager's site that you referenced. I can afford to take a flyer on that.

Mick51 said:
I'll let you know in a week or two. Pics are, at best, inconclusive. The top has never been drilled for a pickguard, just like my 1991 LPS-QM; and, the ObG on Villager's site that you referenced. I can afford to take a flyer on that.

I had an Orville P90 GT with that feature.

villager said:
i will bet its veneer, i sold an identical one in honeyburst a couple years ago, fat quilt and veneer top, heh i offered him too!!

You are correct, Mark. Veneer top; and also a two piece back, despite the seller's representation of one piece. Relatively light in weight, just over 8.5 pounds, and quite resonant.

some of the backs can be very hard to tell. My ObG terrada is 3 piece and it took a while to see all the seams.

My greco EGC1000 is suppose to be a 2 piece by catalog specs but I swear it's a 1....if there is a seam I honestly can't see it.

I know some people scam but it could also just be legit "didn't know".

soundcreation said:
some of the backs can be very hard to tell. My ObG terrada is 3 piece and it took a while to see all the seams.

I know some people scam but it could also just be legit "didn't know".

I agree, and I'm not upset with the seller; it is a very good sounding guitar. However, even in the pics on his gallery, it was pretty apparent; under a bright light, it jumped out. Perhaps I'm just more critical. But, not an issue for me at all on this guitar.

Back