New Bacchus BST-64V on the way

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Just picked this little number up. Looks pretty close to mint..... full report when it arrives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330467225966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That is a bloody nice looking Strat - my favourite look for a Strat actually!

Could be a BST-62V the rosewood board looks thicker than a veneer cap type board, although Bacchus have always done thicker veneer boards than Fender or Tokai.

Diodibuh said:
great guitar! Looks just like by BST62. How do you know it's BST64?

Scratchplate screws are in '64 postion, like most Tokais. :wink: And it has a cap board - so BST-64V.

Another Sunburst Strat eh Marcus? How many is that now? :lol: I guess the white one you bought made an impression? ?550 - not a bad price either.

8)

Mike

Thanks boys..... yeah, it is a 64V..... just like the white one I bought from Rich.... just not a relic. The white one has quickly become my favorite strat..... the tone is amazing. When I saw this one at that price, couldn't resist.

Yeah, another sunburst (think I this will make 8 in the stable) but they all look the same to my wife :wink:

marcusnieman said:
Thanks boys..... yeah, it is a 64V..... just like the white one I bought from Rich.... just not a relic. The white one has quickly become my favorite strat..... the tone is amazing. When I saw this one at that price, couldn't resist.

Yeah, another sunburst (think I this will make 8 in the stable) but they all look the same to my wife :wink:

I stood a new white Strat in my music room last week, the missus didn't even give it a second glance :wink:

stratman323 said:
Diodibuh said:
great guitar! Looks just like by BST62. How do you know it's BST64?

Scratchplate screws are in '64 postion, like most Tokais. :wink: And it has a cap board - so BST-64V.

It's far thicker than any Fender or Tokai rosewood veneer boards, and it looks to be flat bottomed. I don't know if Bacchus have ever done a proper maple neck with a curved rosewood veneer board.

It doesn't look like this:
neck.jpg

Which is what most Tokais look like?

I'm not saying it isn't a BST-64, I'm saying it's Bacchus' 64 Strat which is different from many Fenders and Tokai 64s.

JVsearch said:
I'm not saying it isn't a BST-64, I'm saying it's Bacchus' 64 Strat which is different from many Fenders and Tokai 64s.

Exactly.... it's their version..... it's not a historical reproduction. I love the neck on the white one.... it's fairly chunky like a 65 and nothing like a 62.

On that note, on the Bacchus 62, for those of you who have or have played one, do they have the slim profile that the Fender 62's do?

Do the Bacchus 50's strats have correct V neck profiles?

I have a BST-54 and a 57, both have very similar fat V necks, I've played a 62 and a 64 and the neck profiles both felt the same to me, a C profile that was quite a bit chunkier than a Tokai C profile

JVsearch said:
It's far thicker than any Fender or Tokai rosewood veneer boards, and it looks to be flat bottomed. I don't know if Bacchus have ever done a proper maple neck with a curved rosewood veneer board.

If you look at the headstock pic of Marcus's new guitar, it's quite clearly a cap board. Bacchus seem to use the earlier version of the cap board - the thicker board Fender used in late '62 & '63, but there's very little in it. So it IS a "proper maple neck with a curved rosewood veneer board".

marcusnieman said:
On that note, on the Bacchus 62, for those of you who have or have played one, do they have the slim profile that the Fender 62's do?

Having searched for 20 years now, I think I can be fairly certain that the slimmest necks on any Strat or Tele 60s RIs or copies are to be found on the US62RI Strats & Teles. And the earliest ones seem to be the slimmest. The MIJ 62RI Strats & Teles are noticeably chunkier.

The next slimmest are the rosewood board Goldies. The fattest necks I have seen on this type of guitar are made by Bacchus.

stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:

If you look at the headstock pic of Marcus's new guitar, it's quite clearly a cap board. Bacchus seem to use the earlier version of the cap board - the thicker board Fender used in late '62 & '63, but there's very little in it. So it IS a "proper maple neck with a curved rosewood veneer board".

I'll get some more pics in when it arrives.

I'm confused now; veneer, cap, slab.. I always thought if the rosewood board was flat bottomed it's called a slab board, curved (which is also thinner) is called veneer, right? So what is a cap board?

jacco said:
I'm confused now; veneer, cap, slab.. I always thought if the rosewood board was flat bottomed it's called a slab board, curved (which is also thinner) is called veneer, right? So what is a cap board?

Veneer is the same as cap.....

jacco said:
Thanks Marcus, if English is your native language it's probably obvious

Truth be told, I've not heard the term veneer used for fretboards.... caps are also referred to with maple necks vs. solid maple.

Although people do use the word veneer to refer to a cap board, a veneer is usually a much thinner piece of decorative wood.

Back