Rosewood veneer

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willivory

Reaction score
SpringySounds seem to have a rather thin rosewood veneer on their '62 replica necks. Is there a specific reason in regard to tone why the rosewood veneer would be considerably thinner than the Fender necks of the 60's era? More brightness? Let's hear from an expert.

Will

Hello...

The pre65 Str@ts had 3 different types of rosewood fingerboard.
59 - 60 Cocave (Fat) type
61 - 62 Slab (straight) type
63 - 64 Convex (thin) type

As the majority of the Tokai necks are the 1964 type, it makes sense they would apply this thin rosewood strip instead of the thicker types.

To be honest, I am not aware that the Springysound neck was available in a '62 profile - just a '60 or '64.
The '62 was not offered until the first AST series around 1983.

The tone would be brighter with a thinner rosewood board though..

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks Peter Mac. It's probably a '64 replica then. The previous owner thought it was a '62 but there seems to be so much misinformation or a lack of real knowledge circulating about Tokai's that I'm sure he just got it wrong. I will tell you it is definitely a V-neck, though. You can easily feel the narrow V shape near the headstock and it levels out somewhat as you approach the body. Really nice, comfortable feel and a pleasure to play.

Will

Again this is a case of varying styles.

Rosewood "V" necks on pre65's were done during the 59-60 years. By 63 the necks were all "U" profile.

Tokai used the "V" shape only on the upper-end models (maple & r'wood) so it is possible to have a ST80 with a '64 rosewood "V" neck even though Fenda didn't make them. By the time of the Goldstar series though, Tokai were exact to pre65 specs

regards
Peter Mac

PeterMac....regarding

"Rosewood "V" necks on pre65's were done during the 59-60 years. By 63 the necks were all "U" profile."

I'm thinking you meant "C" neck and not the "U" neck shape on the early 60's strats....This profile came out along with fender's change from maple like on the 57 with the "V" shape to the "C" shape when the neck changed to rosewood cap...The first cap was referred to as the "slab board" which shortly after was replaced by an easier to apply and probably cheaper veneer rosewood cap....

I recall the "U" shape on early Teles and on later Fender Strats and Teles..

John

OK..sounds confusing...let's see if I can't confuse it even more...

I thought the "A,B,C" profile necks were not used until after CBS bought the Company. All the L and pre-L Strats I ever worked on only had the manufacture dates pencilled on the end of the neck.
CBS used a stamp with the date and neck shape with necks bearing maple or rosewood fingerboards. This was used on both 4-bolt and 3-bolt necks.
Interestingly, Leo did not offer maple and rosewood at the same time.

My reference to the "U" profile is because the post65 "C" shape is broader than that of the pre65 Strat, but not quite as thin as the "B" - so I refer to it as a "U" shape.

look forward to your reply

Peter Mac

PeterMac......I'll cheat and simplify all this by saying it's all in the fender stratocaster book I have here at home. ;o) I also have the same author and the book for the Tele.....I can't just make this stuff up you know! LOL

For the most part.....The early 60's vintage strat neck shapes were "C" profile..

John

I'm sorry but I have not read the book.
Can you give me the title and author? Then I may be able to draw water from the same well.

I can only give my opinion of the guitars I've owned.
You don't think that the neck profile of your '63 and '64 Strats are quite different to your 1970 4-bolt model?

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back