Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous musicians who use tokai guitars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattThorpe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Gibbons had his own Pearly Gates LP run at Gibson recently. He always claims to use the original they copied on every album. I suspect he used to use the Tokai live especially when abroad - famous French TV broadcast - to save the travel associated risks with the original Pearly Gates.

Matt Schofield used a Tokai 335 for a while but has gone back to Strat for latest album.

Steve Hackett - ex Genesis is a notable current Burny user.
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattThorpe wrote:
Billy Gibbons had his own Pearly Gates LP run at Gibson recently. He always claims to use the original they copied on every album.

Does he? I'm sure I read that Eliminator & it's follow up were mainly or totally recorded using Deans?
MattThorpe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may have claimed this for the purpose of enhancing the Gibson blurb er marketing.
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattThorpe wrote:
He may have claimed this for the purpose of enhancing the Gibson blurb er marketing.

That sounds more likely. He also probably omitted to mention that he played a Gretsch for several years & now plays a Fender Tele!
MattThorpe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It?s finally here, and it?s bad to the bone. And now you can own it. Billy Gibbons? favorite axe has always been his beloved Pearly Gates ? a rare 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard with legendary angelic qualities. It has appeared on every track of every ZZ Top album to date, and sings with a ?God-like voice? unlike any other guitar."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Billy-Gibbons-Pearly-Gates-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattThorpe wrote:
It has appeared on every track of every ZZ Top album to date, and sings with a ?God-like voice? unlike any other guitar."

Oh please!

Well, for a start, "Apologies To Pearly" definitely doesn't feature it, hence the title. It was recorded using something that was knocking around the studio (a Strat, I think) while they were waiting for their gear to arrive.

And that's just one track....
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And wasn't Blue Jean Blues (ZZ's finest ever track) recorded using a Strat straight into the desk?
MattThorpe
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Yes sickly isn't it !
I've played the signature model. A friend has it - it's ok but my Tokai LS150 is so good in comparison !! The Pearly Gates cost 15 times as much!

Last edited by MattThorpe on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattThorpe wrote:
Haha! Yes sickly isn't it !
I've played the signature model. A friend has it - it's ok but my Tokai LS150 is so good in comparison !!

My LS70 (or whatever it is) has Pearly Gates pickups - that's close enough for me. Not that I ever sound even vaguely like The Rev., but they're great pickups.
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Duff likes his Burnys although an interview in a mag I read (can't remember which one) quoted him as saying he really liked the Japanese 'Bernies'!

Jason
kennzo5150
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy gibbons used a tokai strat on cheap sunglasses.
bashbrook
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Norman Watt-Roy used to use a Tokai Jazz bass.
I also read in an old interview that one of the Blockhead's guitarists used to use a Tokai strat that had a Fender decal on it.
Frankie_Strat
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
SRV? I remain to be convinced. I believe he held a Springy once for a photo, but I'm not convinced the connection goes any deeper than that.

SRV posed for the 85-86 Tokai Catalogue and rumours says that he is holding a Tokai Strat n the cover of his first LP "Texas Flood" but they retouched the photo so it wasn?t possible to see the logo...
But I know for a fact that when he played in Lund, he had 4 Tokai Strats backstage for backup (some black and sunburst ones...) But he never used them onstage. I know because I asked a friend who fixed the monitor sound that night and imported Tokai guitars to Sweden, about just that... as I had one I thought it would be cool...

And if I remember it correctly Nile Rodgers from that Discogroup Chic was a Tokai user too.

stratmoto
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a few in Australia, but most may not be known to overseas readers.

Tim Farriss, INXS
Harvey James, Sherbert
Clive Shakespeare, Sherbert
Bob Spencer, Skyhooks, The Angels, Raw Brit
Billy Thorpe RIP, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs
Lobby Loyde RIP, Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls
Dave Leslie, Baby Animals

There are quite a few more. Of the above list, my understanding is that Tim Farriss was the only officially endorsed Tokai player. All the others bought and own their own Tokai.

The only "endorsed" player to get a free Tokai in Australia over the last 5 years works in a shop in SE Qld. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for some sort of recognition. Even a thank you phone call or email would have been nice.

Sadly, he spoiled it for any other worthy applicant for support in the future.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Joe Walsh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: