Plaintop LS150 vs. Flametop/Sunburst UK LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Connolly

Reaction score
What quality difference does the Plaintop LS150 have over/against the same model Flametop (or UK Sunburst model)? Also, are not the finishes the same? Some people claim the Plaintop LS150 is the best of (at least) the LS150 line. Why?

Same guitar except one is a Flametop and one a Plaintop.

Both nitro finished, same specs, same quality.

Some people prefer plaintops and some don't like veneer . Some even think veneer alters the tone lol. It's robbery due to the early flametops being solid. You only get a solid flametop now on the very high end guitars. I

Historically, he plaintop LS150 is reminiscent of the 1958 Les Paul..... which I believe were mostly plaintops. The flames really showed up in 1959 (I might be wrong about that but I think it's right). Me, I prefer plaintops:

LS150

089.jpg

020.jpg

Les Paul Reborn LS60

140.jpg

DaveWW said:
Some people prefer plaintops and some don't like veneer . Some even think veneer alters the tone lol. It's robbery due to the early flametops being solid. You only get a solid flametop now on the very high end guitars. I

I'm confused here. Are the UK spec LS150s veneered?

jawilluk said:
DaveWW said:

I'm confused here. Are the UK spec LS150s veneered?

The flametops are

I could be wrong but going on high-resolution pics it seems the UK LS-150s are (heavily veneered). Not an expert on finishes but it would seem the Plaintops are more "natural" in finish. My UK model seems heavily veneered (below):

Pic1 (of 2):
TokaiLoveRockLS1506.jpg

and:

Pic2 (of 2):
TokaiLoveRockLS1501.jpg

Only God and Tokai know how much of that laquer stuff is poly and how much is nitro on the UK LS-150 models. Those pics suggest the finish on the UK models is just way too heavy. Maybe their Marketing department got carried away with the "gloss is sexy" concept and therefore sells so just go for it. Completely unnecessary and unwanted from a musician's perspective.

Justin Connolly said:
I could be wrong but going on high-resolution pics it seems the UK LS-150s are (heavily veneered). Not an expert on finishes but it would seem the Plaintops are more "natural" in finish. My UK model seems heavily veneered (below):

Sorry Justin, but are you talking about veneer or finish(poly/nitro)?

jawilluk said:
Justin Connolly said:

Sorry Justin, but are you talking about veneer or finish(poly/nitro)?

Yeah... my thought too. "Heavily veneered" doesn't make sense from a front on view.

A veneer (also know in other situations as a veneer finished surface) is actually a thin sheet of flamed maple toping that is adhered to the solid top (plain?) cap - simply for aesthitic, flame top appearance without being solid.

marcusnieman said:
A veneer (also know in other situations as a veneer finished surface) is actually a thin sheet of flamed maple toping that is adhered to the solid top (plain?) cap - simply for aesthitic, flame top appearance without being solid.

"Flame AAA Maple Cap - 2 Piece" says the specs of LS150 UK(?). If it was veneer top, it would propably be LS150F.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/tokai-love-rock-ls150-electric-guitar-hdc-1261.html

Those babies really define the term clown burst though.

Yes, I was running with two different points there. I'd always wondered why the heavy laquer (poly/nitro) smudges were applied on these guitars. The finish (coating) is a little heavy and uneven in places in comparison to the Plaintop. Just wondered why?

Justin Connolly said:

Pic1 (of 2):
TokaiLoveRockLS1506.jpg

and:

Pic2 (of 2):
TokaiLoveRockLS1501.jpg

Only God and Tokai know how much of that laquer stuff is poly and how much is nitro on the UK LS-150 models. Those pics suggest the finish on the UK models is just way too heavy. Maybe their Marketing department got carried away with the "gloss is sexy" concept and therefore sells so just go for it. Completely unnecessary and unwanted from a musician's perspective.

Only G-d and Tokai know???

Actually many of us here also know, and Tokai definitely know.

If the model description says AAA then obviously it's not a veneer.

No need to be an arrogant dickhe*d about it. The forum is for questions, sharing information and those seeking clarification. I just want to know more about the finish on the guitar. If you're struggling to be mature and can't contribute in a positive manner then p*ss off!

karppi said:
marcusnieman said:

"Flame AAA Maple Cap - 2 Piece" says the specs of LS150 UK(?). If it was veneer top, it would propably be LS150F.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/tokai-love-rock-ls150-electric-guitar-hdc-1261.html

Those babies really define the term clown burst though.

A Cherryburst always looks like a clown burst in a photo...in real life it doesn't look like that.

Justin Connolly said:
No need to be an arrogant dickhe*d about it. The forum is for questions, sharing information and those seeking clarification. I just want to know more about the finish on the guitar. If you're struggling to be mature and can't contribute in a positive manner then p*ss off!

You call this asking a question?

"Only God and Tokai know how much of that laquer stuff is poly and how much is nitro on the UK LS-150 models. Those pics suggest the finish on the UK models is just way too heavy. Maybe their Marketing department got carried away with the "gloss is sexy" concept and therefore sells so just go for it. Completely unnecessary and unwanted from a musician's perspective."

I work for Tokai, how else should I respond to your "statement"?

Did you not read the specs on the Richtone link.

AAA Flametop, NITRO finish.

Justin Connolly said:

Now now...

I happen to have a LS150 UK on my lap now.

The finish is very glossy but I would not call it heavy at all, just wonderful. To tell you how thin it actually is, it has sunk in a line wood vein and looks like a light scar. Nitro does that.

Regarding the top, it is a solid 2 piece cap thingie.

I think I know where the misunderstanding comes from, you used the term veneered to describe the flame grade. Heavily vennered meant heavily flamed? Am I right?

Usually the term veneered means a very thin layer of figured wood is glued on top on a solid maple cap.

Diamond, no I was just making a statement. Looktoyourorb, exactly, well spotted and thanks for the clarification. I've played mostly strat models so just wanted some clarification on the finish of these LP-type guitars. My main concern all along was the poly vs. nitro finish on LS-150s. Just not very familiar with them and when I took some photos of the LS-150 then I noticed the laquer/nitro/poly (?) finish was heavier in certain parts and really stood out so I just wanted to know what it was and why it's heavier in certain places more so than others. It's not a problem and I appreciate all positive information that was contributed on this thread.

Latest posts

Back