Sale price of Vintage Tokai Strat 1984 Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappuccino

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Tokai Fender Strat Copy which I bought second hand in 1991 when I was 18. Played it in a band for a few years but ever since have really been playing acoustic guitars exclusively, so it's been going from loft to loft over the past 17 years or so unplayed.

Having been on tokairegistry and looking at the model number I think this is a Vintage 1984 Goldstar Sound - Strat.

There's a few minor chips and stratches on the bodywork (no worse than should be expected for a 26 year old guitar). Also the tremolo arm is missing and so is the knob on the pickup switcher. So it's not in fantastic condition but as far as I am aware is fine electrically. Bought a new set of strings which I am going to stick on it at the weekend (the ones currently I think are literally 17 years old and sound very dead!).

I've seen identical models on the internet, admittedly in better condition, selling for around 775 euros.

Thinking of putting this on ebay and wondering what kind of starting price I should be aiming at? I am from the UK - thinking ?300 to ?500 might be a reasonable price to expect but unsure?

Pics linked below,
Thanks.

tokai1b.jpg

tokai2b.jpg

tokai3b.jpg

tokai4b.jpg

Hi. First of all, please add your location to your profile so it's clear to everyone where you are. Like this.

<

It looks like a typical Goldstar from around the 1984/85 period. To confirm which model it is we'll need to see the back of the headstock (tuners) and/or the pickups. If you're going to re-string it, it would make sense to unscrew the scratchplate & get some pics "under the hood". Assuming it's all original, it will help if you can prove to any buyer that this is so.

I assume there is no sticker on the back of the neck heel? They were usually removed, so no worries if it's gone.

The market is not good at the moment - it's not a great time to sell. Some Goldies will sell for quite close to ?300, a few go for nearer ?400. It's rare to see one sell for over ?400 unless it's a fairly rare custom colour. As an example, I paid ?425 for this TST55 (with Tokai case) at the start of this year.

IMG_3018.jpg

If you sell it via the classified section on here, you won't have to pay eBay or Paypal fees, which can make quite a difference. Whatever you do, get some good, clear pics - they are likely to help you get a decent price.

Mike

Hi thanks for the reply.

I come from Loughborough, UK - have now updated my profile to include my location.

Will have to doublecheck tonight but there is a sticker on the back of the neck dark blue or black with a number "50" on it, but it's a bit worn so can't be 100% sure that's the whole number.

Nice tip about trying to sell on here, I guess it's a trade-off since I'll save ebay fees but then probably a potentially larger target audience on ebay.

Anyway will have another nosy tonight and get back to you,
Thanks a lot.

Cool, so it's an ST50 (or TST50 to be strictly correct), not the budget ST40 model. Make sure you grab a pic of the sticker. Nice guitars - I have one or two of them. :wink:

If I'm selling something, I tend to advertise it on here first, then put it on eBay (at a higher price to cover my fees) if there is no interest.

Good luck. 8)

I bought my st55 about 4 months ago for ?300. The saddles needed replaced and I've since found out it needs a refret... ( +?100)

I think I've got a pretty good deal and I'm quite happy with what I got for that price. After the refret the thing will play itself - good luck with the sell!

Latest posts

Back