Need help identifying this Tokai Les Paul guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike51

Reaction score
I live in Houston, Texas and could use some help identifying the above guitar. My problem is that I am not familiar with guitars, have limited knowledge of this one's history, have no idea of it's value and need to sell it.

I have set up a flickr page at ( http://www.flickr.com/people/mikespictures2010/ ) so you can review the photos or I can email them to you if you contact me at [email protected].

The guitar shows minamal wear. I had difficulty getting pictures that weren't picking up background reflection and all I did was wipe it with a soft cloth (no polish). I cannot find a serial number anywhere but I believe it was purchased in Japan in the early to late 1990's (trying to confirm). I found a statement during my web search that indicated that if the Truss Rod Cover had two screws it was made in Japan, three screws it was made in Korea or China. Haven't been able to relocate that page to confirm. I had the guitar restrung and checked out at the local guitar shop. The technician told me that he was not familar with Tokai guitars but that everything worked perfectly and that he felt it as a higer end unit. He could not advise me on value. Took it to a second shop and was told that all Tokai's are crap and he offered me $50 for it. Six additional calls to other Houston guitar shop resulted in "didn't know Tokai made guitars so here I am.

Can any of you help me?

Hi Mike,

The headstock does not look like a Japanese market tokai, more like a UK model one or Korean. Also the truss rod cover does not look original.
Here are pictures of my gear.

Japan model:
IMG_0052.jpg

UK model:
03042010178.jpg

...forgot to add, no serial most certainly means it is an early Korean model. Not sure how much they sell for in the US.

The LS48 I used to own had this on it, though I'm not sure that every MIK Tokai had this.

119_1959.jpg

thanks for your reply. I can us any help I can get. The only marking I can find on it is the Tokai logo on the head. Since the finish is black I have strained these old eyeballs looking for an in ink serial number but no go so far

looktoyourorb said:
Hi Mike,

The headstock does not look like a Japanese market tokai, more like a UK model one or Korean. Also the truss rod cover does not look original.

I've been browsing the Houston Craigslist listings. The truss rod cover on mine is shaped like the cover on early Gibson Less Pauls. Does that mean anything?

Mike51 said:
I've been browsing the Houston Craigslist listings. The truss rod cover on mine is shaped like the cover on early Gibson Less Pauls. Does that mean anything?

Not if it's a replacement, what we need to see is underneath it. Did the original cover have 2 screws or 3, that's the question.

stratman323 said:
Mike51 said:

Not if it's a replacement, what we need to see is underneath it. Did the original cover have 2 screws or 3, that's the question.

Pulled off the truss rod cover. Only two holes in the base to accomodate the visable screws.

Mike51 said:
Pulled off the truss rod cover. Only two holes in the base to accomodate the visable screws.

Added picture of the removed truss rod cover cavity to my flickr account.

[ /http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4752298973_5f6aa20959_m.jpg/ ]

Definitely found your guitar: follow the link to the Tokai catalogs and check the ALC models from 1999.

If in any doubt check to cavities to identify the type of wood.

Oli

There is some variation in Tokai logos from different eras, but that one really doesn't look right to me. If you compare it to the one on Looktoyouorb's LC, it's both too heavy and at the wrong angle. The 'O' and 'K' seem to be too cramped as well, and the dot on the 'I' is rather small. Same results if you compare it to the logo on his LS, as well.

Have you got any photos of the cavities?

IMG_0052.jpg

4751684459_7ee858a190.jpg

BlueThird said:
There is some variation in Tokai logos from different eras, but that one really doesn't look right to me. If you compare it to the one on Looktoyouorb's LC, it's both too heavy and at the wrong angle. The 'O' and 'K' seem to be too cramped as well, and the dot on the 'I' is rather small. Same results if you compare it to the logo on his LS, as well.

May be the camera angle and lighting. I see what you are pointing out in my photo. When I hold it up next to the monitor and compair it to Looktoyouorb's picture I can't see any difference. I'll get some pictures of the cavities in the am. Thanks.

looktoyourorb said:
Japan model:
IMG_0052.jpg

Hey looktoyourorb, What is the story with the customs with this headstock? I a have a lead on a white custom on the cheap with this headstock and am trying to figure out what year it might possibly be... I don't have the serial number yet. Did any Korean Tokai customs come with this headstock? Do you know what year this started? Any pertinent info would be appreciated.

Well I found mine by "accident" so I'm not too sure but the open book headstock is usually a good sign. Have a look in the catalogue section (year 1999 or 2000) and you will see Korean LCs next to Japanese models.

The Korean models definitely seem to have the modded headstock with the extra nipple (sorry could think about another word to describe it).

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more clear, what I mean is the logo, not the "Tokai" logo but the three dot into the "arty" design between the tuners. I am to assume that probably means a newer model like a LC85 or so. I'll go look at the catalogs you mentioned. Thanks again. All I have to go by is a very blurred picture where I can see that it is a custom in white and that it has the "arty" headstock thing going on. It looks to be the open book with out the little tit thingy in the middle but it is hard to see.

Mike51 said:
BlueThird said:

May be the camera angle and lighting. I see what you are pointing out in my photo. When I hold it up next to the monitor and compair it to Looktoyouorb's picture I can't see any difference. I'll get some pictures of the cavities in the am. Thanks.

I have added pictures of the back cavities to my flickr page at ( http://www.flickr.com/people/mikespictures2010/ ). If you go to my account you can view them. If you click "Your photostream" you can see all of the pictures that I have taken of the guitar.

I really appreciate your help identifying this guitar. I need to sell it, don't want to either misrepresent it or give it away. Got divorce attorneys to pay. I do not blame the guitar shops for being less than helpful. The two that I went to were full of inventory and I was the only nonemployee in the place. In this economy, anyone selling a single guitar is direct competition.

Definitely Korean hardware and cavity finish.

The cavities in MIJ models are smooth as and the switches are different.

1999 Korean model as per catalogue.

looktoyourorb said:
Definitely Korean hardware and cavity finish.

The cavities in MIJ models are smooth as and the switches are different.

1999 Korean model as per catalogue.

Thanks again for you help. The pixels blur on the catalog page when I try to enlarge it so I can't read the specs. Mine looks like the picture of the 1999 made in Korea LC 65. Are you saying that is most likely what I have?

If it is the 1999 LC 65 it originally sold for about $742 US dollars. Do guitars tend to hold their value, appreciate or depreciate? I understand that in a slow economy the price will be depressed. The problem I am having is that I am finding few Tokai's of any model to use for a compairison.

Latest posts

Back