Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it me, or are my Love Rock PU's microphonic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranjam
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Is it me, or are my Love Rock PU's microphonic? Reply with quote

I have now gone through three Love Rocks, whose ages range from late 1980's to late 1990's, and they all have microphonic pickups. Or do they ? This is only apparently in very high gain amplifiers, yet my other guitars get spared. Is this normal? Am I going to have to pot the pickups? I plan on keeping my Love Rocks, but possibly not the pickups, unless there is something else I am missing. It can't be the electronics/wiring, can it ?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing with an LS 75 QVF.
Now given that the model is loaded with Tokai's 'vintage' pups could it be that Tokai are reproducing a proper vintage pup complete with microphonics?

Recently swapped that guitar to an LS LTD which was loaded with normal 'LP's' non vintage - no microphonics at all - lots of huge sustain when cranked - big smiling face

I would add that my Gi**on LP has microphonics at the same levels so it's not just a Tokai thing.

GB

ps I should have added that some microphonics can be caused (or at least made worse) by the amp - if the amp designer didn't bleed off enough the higher frequencies at the pre-amp stage then you do get worse microphonics. The cure for this involves opening up your amp so I won't go into it here, but try a different amp first!
ranjam
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've tried two of my Love Rock guitars into an older Twin Reverb; no squeal. Plugged into any Fender combo or head; no squeal. Any super high-gain amp (Soldano, Boogie, etc.) Squeal City. Roll off some treble from the guitar or pull the volume control down to 8 or 9; no squeal. It only happens when the preamp section is 'dimed' in the high gain channel, and I can tap the Volume pot with my pick, nd hear it louder than my wife through the amplifier ! I'll figure this out, and let everyone know. This will get 'solved'. I'll try the wiring before I do some radical like pot the pickup.
nakamichi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Microphony Reply with quote

My LS-65 (MIJ 2001) came with Gotoh pickups (yes, I admit it - I tore the label off) - at home I was really impressed with the authenticity of the sound of the guitar - I'm an old rocker and REMEMBER - but on my first gig with my new guitar I got squeals and clanks (pickup selector switch).

The pickups are probably completely authentic, you have to admire the Japs for their attention to detail. I replaced them with Seymour Duncan 59s and my guitar is now perfick. Oh - and I sold the Gotohs for a good price, making the Seymours a little less expensive.

The original PAFs were built with a wooden spacer underneath the coils and Gotoh use plastic - I think that's the main difference. Seymour have really done a good job of replicating the PAF humbucker (but they don't tell you what kind of wood they use....)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: