***ORVILLE BY GIBSON 59 REISSUE***

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
Another new guitar day :D This will be the last this year ,I promise!
But I thought i would go out with a bang...i needed a very special guitar at the right price to make it my last :(
So when i saw this freaking gorgeous OBG appear on yahoo with a good BIN price...i could not let it go for the price..plus it was only up for short period before i jumped on the BIN button....

I originally thought it was a 1 piece back ,the 3/4+1/4 seam is really hard to spot unless you look at its arse,where you see the straight seam line...It has a veneer top...as well ...gibson classic 57s....It is in very good condition...Still has the protective plastic film on the truss rod cover ,control cavities..It also came with the original warranty card ,pickguard & bracket unopened...A bonus....

P1000566.jpg

P1000561.jpg

P1000569.jpg

P1000570.jpg

P1000564.jpg

P1000579.jpg

P1000577.jpg

P1000562.jpg

Plays and sounds fantastic ,I now have the set of reissues...
P1000582.jpg

The two together:ORVILLE BY GIBSON 59 REISSUE : ORVILLE BY GIBSON 57C REISSUE...
P1000556.jpg

P1000559.jpg

P1000560.jpg

P1000580.jpg

MOJO HOBO

Beautiful guitars! I noticed that the original price on these 59 RI in 1995 was 125,000 Yen, but elsewhere I have seen catalogue scans with a 198,000 Yen price for a 59 RI. Are those the ones with a solid flame top or what was the difference?

Thanks.
It looks like in 1992 they were called LPS-FM and were 198,000 and then in 1993 the RI series began and they were called LPS-59R and cost 125,000 Yen. Weren't these the same guitar for much less money? Are there not 59 RI with solid flame tops?

I'm just curious because I purchased a 1993 OBG 59RI today with a subtle flame top. It is a Fuji-Gen model but I'm not sure if the top is solid or veneer; I'll have to check it when it arrives.

Hello PEGCITY! Very nice to meet you :D

Congrats on your new arrival when you do finally get it?
Going by what info i have gained here and read elsewhere! OBG 59RIs with a solid flame top are are pretty rare ,Villager said here and in other places in posts,that he has only ever seen a few Obgs with a solid flame top.About 1 out of 30 reissues might be solid topped,he also said that a lot of the Obgs with a very rare 1-piece back are usually/ have a solid top..
The top catalogue pages i posted in this thread are form the OBG 1994 CATALOGUE ....Hence no lps-fm model priced at 198.000 yen..My OBG 57c reissue is a 1994 fujigen made guitar and is solid topped ,not much flame,,2 -piece back...
It thought my OBG 59 reissue in this post was a solid flamed top ,1 piece back when i brought it off yahoo.japan..It can be tricky to determine if the top is solid by photos only..you reaaly need to have the guitar in front of you..The veneer is so well matched on some examples...

MOJO HOBO

Thanks Mojo! The guitar should arrive some time next week, I am looking forward to it.
The seller said it was a solid top but I have my doubts, most likely a veneer but it's much more subtle flame than yours. It also appears to have a 2 piece back. From what I can deduce, it is a 1993 Fuji-Gen made 59RI with 57 classic pups. Here's a few pics the seller provided, I'll post some more of my own once it arrives.

conv0001.jpg

conv0003.jpg

conv0008.jpg
[/img]

mojo hobo said:
OBG 59RIs with a solid flame top are are pretty rare ,Villager said here and in other places in posts,that he has only ever seen a few Obgs with a solid flame top.
MOJO HOBO

59 Reissue with a solid flametop :lol:

OBG93003.jpg

Nice one T. So the questions now is - to install the pickguard or not. I know that is what differentiates the Reissues from the Standards so it's a tough call. But to me a Les Paul is partially naked without one. :)

Pegcityrocker said:
Nice one T. So the questions now is - to install the pickguard or not. I know that is what differentiates the Reissues from the Standards so it's a tough call. But to me a Les Paul is partially naked without one. :)

It's up to you cause you are the only one who will see this guitar almost every day and play her.If you like a Lester more with pg install it and you will be happy every time you look at her.For me it's completely different,don't like the pg and even don't like the hole for it.And I was pretty happy when I had the chance to get mine without both :wink:
But I would give a **** on other guys opinion,YOU have to love her

To be honest,I would rather cut my hands off instead of drilling a hole in your beauty :lol:

You had to show me that freaking amazing OBG ... mr T ....Man that would be stunning if it was veneer,but it is a solid top WOW :eek: I want it?
Would you consider selling it or a trade...really!!
Does it have a 1 piece back as well...did you accquire it from a forum member here or elsewhere...sorry for all the questions..

I have a very nice BURNY super grade RLG-90 from 1983-84 with early bobbins VH-1s zebras....

MOJO HOBO

Hey LE JUGE..That terada OBG of yours is the twin of mine...are you sure it is a 59 reissue..i think it is a the same model as mine 57C reissue.

Mine is a fujigen built guitar,2 -piece center seamed back.very well matched .
The 57C came with the pickguard fitted ...unlike the 59 reissue.

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
Hey LE JUGE..That terada OBG of yours is the twin of mine...are you sure it is a 59 reissue..i think it is a the same model as mine 57C reissue.

Mine is a fujigen built guitar,2 -piece center seamed back.very well matched .
The 57C came with the pickguard fitted ...unlike the 59 reissue.

MOJO HOBO
According to the catalogue, it looks like the LPS-57C. But I don't know if the LPS-57C have the binding over the frets like the LPS-59R.

YEAH! pegcity,The 59 reissue is terada made....The 57c is fujigen made from 1994...The neck size on the OBG 57c is larger than on the 59 reissue,which justs feels perfect for little hands...It is only a small margin but you can feel the difference.
The neck on the 57c is no way as big as any of my two burny RLG-90s from 1982-1983,which seem very fat compaired to the orville by gibsons...
Hope this helps :D

MOJO HOBO

Latest posts

Back