Tokai Starsound -is it real?

Discussion Area for all things on the down low.

Moderator: ned

crop
Plucker

Tokai Starsound -is it real?

Post by crop » Mon May 10, 2010 2:49 pm

It's my first post , so

Hello everyone!

I have a chance to buy Tokai Starsound, but I'm wondering is it just noname bass with Tokai logo. Tuners have been changed...

Can u help me?

Fender32
Guitar God

Post by Fender32 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:51 am

Sorry to say it, but I really don't think that that is a geniune Tokai bass :( .

The "Goldstar Sound" logo was designed to go on Tokai's (Fender) Stratocaster guitar copies, whereas the Precision Bass copies were (always?) called "Hard Puncher" basses. "Goldstar Sound" basses are certainly new to me!?

The tuners are obviously not the appropriate ones for a Fender bass, the extra pickup looks very suspicious (I've seen Tokais with P/J pickups and no pickguard, but never with a pickguard) and what's more, the fretboard is too thick to be a proper Tokai one (they used curved roswood on their basses).

On the whole, I'd say that unless you play it and really like it and unless it's extremely cheap (i.e. less than ?100), I'd give it a miss :-? .
Certified Tokai Jazz Sound whore.

crop
Plucker

Post by crop » Sat May 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks for the response! I didn't buy it , maybe next time i'll find some forgotten tokai :)

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:42 am

I'm pretty sure that's a non-Tokai bass with a Goldstar decal fixed (badly) to the headstock. As Fender32 said, Goldstars were (& are) Strats.

Well done for checking before your bought it - it's very frustrating when people show us the fake they have just bought.... :roll:

Mike