Your favourite piece of guitar music.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornelius bonobo

Reaction score
Think about your favourite piece of guitar music (I mean your absolute couldn't live without it, desert island must have favourite.) What guitar was it played on?
Mine's the opening to Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix), and it's a Strat (natch). I reckon more than 50% of my favourite stuff is on a Strat.
How 'bout you.
P.S. I'm at pretty bored at the moment.
Not sure how Tokai related this is either.

Have to agree with you + Jeff Beck plays mainly strats - what else is there to say?
Joe

Wow. Great question and I'm sure the responses will be an interesting read. I love a lot of players and styles and can probably pick dozens of favorites. Clapton's 335 on "Crossroads" is a winner as is Martin Barre's solo on "Aqualung" which I believe was played on a Les Paul (I could be wrong). But I think my personal favorite is Leslie West's very tasteful solo on "Theme From An Imaginary Western". I believe this was played on a Les Paul Jr since that was his signature guitar and sound. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it in a while. Its not played fast and its not too complicated for most guitarists to learn. It simply grabs the soul and is everything a solo should be, understated but powerful at the same time. More responses?

Will

Peter Frampton's "talking" guitar from "Comes Alive" album in '76 is killer stuff...

I reckon there's going to be a firm Les Paul / Strat theme running here, if anyone else can be arsed to post their opinions.
I know that this particular debate has been done to death, and to be honest, whilst my personal fave is the Strat, that's probably only because I just can't tell the difference between guitars with humbuckers. Once it's all mushed up with distortion etc, a 335 could be a Les Paul could be an SG or anything, but a good Strat is always recognisable (I think).

Guess the one track that's moved me the most has to be "Where Were You" by Jeff Beck ("Guitar Shop", '89). First time I heard that I didn't dare to breathe for the three minutes (or whatever) the song lasted, afraid everything would fall apart if I did........
Besides the obvious brain damages from that episode, it turned me into a diehard Beckomaniac, and really changed...the....way.....uh, I forgot...

Gregert

That ones tough. Couldn't Stand the Weather by SRV, Righteous by Eric Johnson.

Now if I could only choose 1 album it would be Tommy by The Who. It has everything - classical feel and rock.

Ned

"Where were you" from Jeff Beck is a very original but great song.I love Johny Winter also(he played a Firebird).Listen his work with Muddy Waters.
Late Roy Buchanam(tele) is fantastic too.If you listen "Second aAlbum" you will see where Gary Moore took ideas for Still Got the Blues song :-?

Crossroads is right up there but I got ta go with Gary Moore's live version of "Sill got the Blues" Tied with "parisienne Walkways" The hair standing on the arm is at a max when he flicks the toggle to the bridge bucker! :wink:

Anything by Django Reinhardt with Stephane Grapelli. If you haven't heard it, you should check it out!
Cheers!
Rob

Yeah, Django should be required listeneing for all guitarists.

There are so many great guitar parts that make time stand still for me. Joe Walsh's sweet sweet solo on "Midnight Man" comes to mind. I'd have to say also the solo on Gary Moore's "The Story of the Blues" - when thats over I realize I haven't been breathing for a couple of minutes. Moore took away any excuses I had about what you could and couldn't do on a Les Paul neck!

LondonBarry I am soo jealous! Beck never comes here and when he does I'm moving house & can't get down there!!
One I forgot - the 'Comfortably numb' solo by Gilmour of course!

oh, and you guys should check out Martin Taylor too - not a strat in sight but the guy is amazing!

Read an interview with Gilmour many years ago where he discussed his approach to soloing. Remember him saying that many times he sits in the control room with a mike and just sings along until he comes up with something that sounds good to him.
Then he tries to emulate that with his guitar.......

It really makes sense,- when you sing you can't go "pidelipidelipidelipidelipi" forever (unless you're Ella Fitzgerald, but she's dead) so you have to come up with something melodic.

And that's what makes Gilmour so great, right?

Slowbrain
-Guitar Legend in my spare mind

Hello Barry,
If you're worried about that rusty old hardware, I've got some brand spanking new chromed bridgy bits which are absolute ***** which I'll happily swap for your nasty old rusty bits (although somehow I don't think you'll be up for that).
Still loving little wing, although the whole of Rage Against the Machine's first album is pretty awe inspiring.

Latest posts

Back