DIY Amp kits

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoey

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Although we have still to hit Summer properly here in the the UK my mind has started turning to a "Winter" project, and I fancy building a low wattage "Fender Circuit" based amp. Power rating from almost as low as you can go to 5 watta max will be considered
Anyone out there (specifically Uk based for tech reasons) had/have any recommendations in the kits available, and what/who to avoid

Thanks in advance Guys

www.ampmaker.com is in the UK has a great reputation, is cheap as chips and does some nice low wattage kits.

Cheers JohnA
Yes I have seen their web site and they do look promising. The thing is I was told by a proffessional builder that they were at the Manchester Guitar Show last year doing a deminstratin build, and the amp set on fire when it was plugged in ????

Like any DIY project you need to be careful, and really know what you are doing to avoid problems. If the amp set on fire it will almost certainly have been caused by an error in the build, or maybe a faulty component, something that could happen to any amp not just an ampmaker one.

All of the components in the ampmaker kits are top quality, and safe, it's up to the assembler to make sure the final amp is safe.

schoey said:
Cheers JohnA
Yes I have seen their web site and they do look promising. The thing is I was told by a proffessional builder that they were at the Manchester Guitar Show last year doing a deminstratin build, and the amp set on fire when it was plugged in ????

I was just emailed a link to this page by a would-be customer.

Not sure if there's a 'wrong end of the stick' thing going on here, but Amp Maker (that's me, obviously) has never been to Manchester Guitar Show (or any other guitar show) as an exhibitor/demonstrator/etc. In fact, the last time I was in Manchester was 1981ish! :)

schoey - Please let me know who the professional builder is, or please alert him to this thread so he can clarify. I don't know where this story came from, but it's 100% untrue.

(I'm only posting this to set the record straight - not ranting or raving. I used to be a regular poster here and still have several Tokais)

Hello Barry,glad to hear from you.
I also support Barry and Ampmaker,very nice kits and they have cabs also..... 8)

Ampmaker amps are really great but the best part is Barry's support. Thank you again ;)
Ceriatone has also very nice amps, usually more expensive than ampmaker.

Srecko

ampmaker said:
schoey said:
Cheers JohnA

I was just emailed a link to this page by a would-be customer.

Not sure if there's a 'wrong end of the stick' thing going on here, but Amp Maker (that's me, obviously) has never been to Manchester Guitar Show (or any other guitar show) as an exhibitor/demonstrator/etc. In fact, the last time I was in Manchester was 1981ish! :)

schoey - Please let me know who the professional builder is, or please alert him to this thread so he can clarify. I don't know where this story came from, but it's 100% untrue.

(I'm only posting this to set the record straight - not ranting or raving. I used to be a regular poster here and still have several Tokais)

Would be nice if you keep dropping by, there are a few amp builders on the forum, and it's always nice to have someone around who knows what they are doing.

Loverocker wasn't it? The best user name on the forum :wink:

Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Nice to see some familar 'faces'. :)

I shall definitely hang out here more often, and be as helpful as I can. It's a long time since I've mooched around here, and I would rather like an '83 Tokai bass... So who can I persuade into selling one? :D

ampmaker said:
Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Nice to see some familar 'faces'. :)

I shall definitely hang out here more often, and be as helpful as I can. It's a long time since I've mooched around here, and I would rather like an '83 Tokai bass... So who can I persuade into selling one? :D

Great stuff, look forward to your posts! Any plans on any blackface style amps with reverb? Theres got to be a gap in the UK market for something like that.

JohnA said:
Any plans on any blackface style amps with reverb? Theres got to be a gap in the UK market for something like that.

Good Q. BF+reverb is always a popular combination. I'd have to find a way to make it fit the way I have of doing things... Not in the immediate future, to be honest. :)

If you're in a rush, there's already a DR clone kit available in Europe (Tube Amp Doctor), and Barry Vyse at Torres UK has a great foundation in Fender amps.

ampmaker said:
JohnA said:
Any plans on any blackface style amps with reverb? Theres got to be a gap in the UK market for something like that.

Good Q. BF+reverb is always a popular combination. I'd have to find a way to make it fit the way I have of doing things... Not in the immediate future, to be honest. :)

If you're in a rush, there's already a DR clone kit available in Europe (Tube Amp Doctor), and Barry Vyse at Torres UK has a great foundation in Fender amps.

Yes the TAD (mojo) kits look great, but I like your prices better :wink: Something based round a standard chassis would be OK, I'm not looking for a deluxe reverb clone, just an amp that captures the sound.

Was just listening to this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPSz_7H2Df8

That's an impressive tone for around 100 squids.

On the shopping list for June!

Latest posts

Back