Identifying a new Goldstar Sound strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javelin70

Reaction score
I received the Tokai strat I bought from Germany today. It's supposed to be a japanese AST-50. Here's a description of it: surf green alder body, maple one piece neck (yellow tint, looks like a 30 year old nitro finish), Kluson type tuners (no "deluxe" text on them as on old goldstar's), single ply white pickguard with eight screws. The finish on the guitar is excellent, the frets are well dressed. It looks as if it has a steel sustain block. The switch is not of the same quality as the old goldstar's though. The tone and sustain is excellent. There is however no "made in japan" anywhere and no serial number. The headstock has a rosewood? plug where the trussrod is fitted and a skunk stripe of course. The pickups have staggered poles.

Does anybody know if it really is an AST-50? Does the description fit any other new goldstar? I'm grateful for any information. If it's an AST-50 I think it was a good deal, otherwise I probably paid too much for it.

Mike

I have an ast50 exactly as you descibe. mine has a made in japan printed at the base of the neck under the laquer. no serial numbers though. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Col

After doing some research I'm now convinced it is an AST-50. I've also noticed that the top of the headstock is slightly different on the korean strats. The japanese model looks like the earlier japanese AST's whereas the korean models have a slighly different shape and is a little bit larger.

I've had the guitar for a few days now and I must say I'm impressed, I really like this guitar. It's not an exact replica as the 80's strats but it's a **** good instrument and considering the price it's a bargain. I will probably replace the switch with a US made Centralabs otherwise I will leave it as it is.

BTW, the sustain block is not steel as I first thought.

Mike

Michael,about repalcing parts in a Tokai.I was told by my luthier keeping it stock otherwise than pups,they are very good quality(by Gotoh).

Luis, I agree, the pots and switches on the older Tokai's are really good. The switch on the new strat however feels like it's not of the same high quality. When I change the strings, I will remove the pickguard and see what's under it. If it's the type of switch I suspect it is (plastic) I will replace it. Otherwise the guitar is great!

Mike

Back