Please help me identify my Goldstar Sound Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulos

Reaction score
I have a GoldStar Sound Strat which I think comes from the late 70's early 80's. I'm thinking of selling it so need to be able offer an accurate description.

I've changed the p'ups for Linday Fralin Vintage hots and the tuners for Kluson Deluxe. I'll add pictures of the original p/ups & tuners.

The reason I'm asking for clarification on this guitar is that it doesn't have a serial number on it anywhere, and the bridge saddles aren't stamped final prospect. Maybe this makes it an ST40?

I bought it used from Andy's in Denmark St over 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance for you help.

tokaistrat002.jpg

tokaistrat003.jpg

tokaistrat006.jpg

tokaistrat007.jpg

tokaistrat014.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195
A440/tokaistrat017.jpg

tokaistrat019.jpg

tokaistrat017.jpg

I agree, ST40, probably from around 1984/5 ish, you can never really be sure with Goldstars. Well you've replaced the two weakest points of the guitar, which can't be bad. I assume you're going to include the original pickups & tuners when you sell it in case the buyer prefers them?

Is there anything stamped on the neckplate? It seems to have a rubber backing plate under it, which isn't something I've seen on Tokais before.

Mike

Thanks Mike. No, nothing stamped on the neck-plate. No rubber backing plate (behind neck plate) either...must be a trick of the light in the photo. Is it unusual for an ST40 not to have a serial no. on the neck plate?

Yes, when I definitely decide to sell I'll include the original tuners and p/ups. I may even put the original p/ups back in as I may need the Lindy Fralins.

paulos said:
Thanks Mike. No, nothing stamped on the neck-plate. No rubber backing plate either...must be a trick of the light in the photo. Is it unusual for an ST40 not to have a serial no. on the neck plate?

Yes, when I definitely decide to sell I'll include the original tuners and p/ups. I may even put the original p/ups back in as I may need the Lindy Fralins.

They usually do have a serial number stamped on the neck plate.

Good call on the Fralins.... I'd keep them as well - same with the tuners. Sell the Tokai as original

Oh OK. Yeah a Goldstar should have a serial number stamped on the neckplate, but it's not a number that helps with dating it - one of many Tokai quirks. :-? I assume the neckplate has been changed then, not the end of the world.

If you're going to sell it it would help to get some pics of the insides - the pickup cavities & any stamped codes, back of the scratchplate, the stamped code on the neck butt, that sort of thing. All to prove to the buyer it's all kosher.

Financially you may be better off putting the original pickups back, I doubt if you would get ?100 or so extra for the guitar with them in, so there's not much point. If you want to sell them I reckon you'd get more selling the Fralins separately.

Thanks guys. I've taken the guitar apart, as suggested. The only marking I could spot is '5-16' at the neck butt. The extra screw you can see in the tremolo block is a device my luthier put in so you can tighten the tremolo arm position (quite handy). Here are the pics.

tokaistratinpieces001.jpg

tokaistratinpieces003.jpg

tokaistratinpieces004.jpg

tokaistratinpieces005.jpg

tokaistratinpieces006.jpg

tokaistratinpieces007.jpg

tokaistratinpieces008.jpg

tokaistratinpieces009.jpg

tokaistratinpieces010.jpg

tokaistratinpieces011.jpg

I don't think that's a Tokai body. The bridge looks like it's from one of the cheaper Silver Stars, but I'm not sure what the body is. :-?

Ouch...that's a shame. Looks like I'll be selling it as a 'partscaster' then. Any thoughts as to approx value a) with Lindy Fralins incl. b) with the original p/ups back in ?

Good old Andys eh? :roll:

Hard to say what it would sell for - probably not a great deal to be honest. It might even be worth selling the neck & body separately, much as it pains me to say it- somebody might want the neck to go with a Tokai body. I think the news that it's not a Tokai body makes it even more important to remove the Fralins before selling it, & selling them separately if you don't want to keep them.

Aye...after thinking about it over night, what I'll probably do is remove the Lindy Fralins. Then either part it out, sell the neck separately etc ..or..give the guitar to some young relatives to have fun with (if they want it!).

I don't feel too hard done by...it's been a good workhorse strat for me over the years. :wink:

Thankyou both very much for your help and comments. I'm glad we got to the bottom of things.

Hi Paulos, I may be interested in buying the Fralin's if you decide to sell them, depending of coarse on the price :D
What about the whole guitar, what sort of money would you want for it(with the fralins in place)
cheers
Paul

In the end I decided to take out the Fralins and put the original p/ups back in the guitar.

The guitar and the Lindy Fralin pickups are now for sale separately in the classifieds section.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16344

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16345

Latest posts

Back