Tuners on the new AST-50's?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javelin70

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it has Kluson type tuners, Gotoh mini's or other type? What kind of tuners are on the AST-33 (Korea)? I would be grateful for a quick answer regarding this.

Mike

Thanks for the answer. It does make me more confused though, I just bought a japanese strat from a german dealer and they say it doesn't have Kluson type tuners. To my knowledge the only japanese strat is the AST-50. I have no other reason to doubt that it is a japanese Goldstar, the guitar looks like the AST-50's I've seen on pictures. The pickguard have only 8 screws whereas all korean Goldstar's I've seen has 11 (it's a maple neck). The thing is that I thought it had Kluson's.

Mike

Hi Michael.You can check a spanish site www.centromusica.net.
You will see a TOKAI ST-50 going for 306,04 euros(+ 16% tax),a Tokai ST-20 241,38(+16% tax).I can ask them if you are interested.It seems htey are nopt the same models as shown in Tokai 2000 catalogue.The same for Love Rock models a LC-60,MAPLE NECK(like Gibson Deluxe from 70,s) going for 560,35(+16% tax),LS-48(korean for sure) going for 517,24 euros(+16% tax) and ls-37 400,86 EUROS(+16% tax).I think they are all korean,but not totally sure,or maybe parts from other countries asambled in Japan.For a comparation ARIA models(korean) are going for (422-516 euros here in Spain-Deluxe models)

About JAPANESE Tokai models I have noticed new modes like the special orders from Universe and LS 160 and Ls350(quilted),LS80 and 85(honduras mahogany? neck).Anybody here could get a 2001/2002 catalogue for posting?What do you know about new models?

Hi Luis,
I've visited Centromusica's site a few times and I think the prices are quite low. The picture of the AST-50 I think is wrong however, the maple neck model should only have 8 pickguard screws as far as I know, not 11. I think the picture shows an AST-33. I've also noticed a lot of new Tokai models and also the Guitar Universe satin finish Love Rock's, they look beauitful, specially the lemon drop color. I've recently tested a Love Rock II (LR70F - flame top), I wrote about it here. It's a fantastic guitar but a little to expensive here in Sweden ($1500 US), ordering it from japan would be a lot cheaper, about $900 including shipping and swedish taxes.

Regarding the models on Centromusica's site I think the LC-60 is japanese as well as the AST-50 strat (all other strat models seem to be korean). It's a pity Tokai does not manufacture top of the line strat replicas anymore, they were great in the 80's! Anyway, the quality of the japanese Tokai's is definitely equal to or better than in the 80's, the LR70 impressed me very much.

I will probably receive the AST-50 I bought the coming week, I'll let you know what I think about it. It's surf green (I think) with a maple neck, looks great!

Mike

The two AST-50 Japanese Strats that I own have the old style tuners that look like Kluson copies. The info that I got was that all the hardware was Gotoh, so since they do make copies like that, it's prolly what it is. They seem to hold tune pretty well, but the Schaller locking sealed units seem to do a better job for me. I am keeping the original ones on my Tokais because there is so little difference in function, and they look cool, but have updated the ones on my Fender.
Here's the Gotoh info from Japan...
http://www.hosco.co.jp/intl/pages/gg.html

Ramsale, do you have a maple neck AST-50? If you do, does it have 8 pickguard screws? I don't know how to identify the guitar since there is no "made in" decal on it. I bought it from a German dealer and they got it from Tokai UK who told them it was japanese. I'll examine it thoroughly when I get it. The hardware on the Tokai's was Gotoh in the 80's also, I think most pickups are also Gotoh.

Mike

I've got an ast50 it has made in japan written under the laquer at the base of the neck, do't know what the tuners are though as there are no identifying marks on them. 8 screws on the pickguard, no serial no. bought in UK.

Looking at another website I would say they are Gotohs Kluson Style machine heads

Been out of town for a few days...
Pickguards on my 2 ASTs are 11 screw and have maple necks with skunk stripe. Nice necks and fretwork...

Back