Baachus BLP-59 - What? When? etc

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58gasman

Reaction score
I don't much ( actually anything) :D about these instruments.

When were the BLP-59 Les paul styles made?

How much did they cost?

long tenon, hyde glue? etc?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm assuming you're referring to the clone LPs, that is, the Bacchus Vintage series LPs?

The model codes are:
BLS - Bacchus Les Paul Standard
BLC - Bacchus Les Paul Custom

They were made from about 1994 to 2005/06, but you can still get them by special order. Not all of them have long tenons, but even those ones still have the medium tenon which is as good a joint as you'll ever need. The early production of the BLS-95s was medium tenon and poly finish.

All of them have a poly undercoat except for the ones that are oil finished. They all have chrome hardware and some seem to use what looks like a Nashville Tune-o-matic but mounted on ABR posts, so an ABR type bridge could be dropped on if vintage accuracy is important. Hide glue! Forgeddaboutit. Honduran? Unlikely, you are more likely to get Honduran on the first run of Bacchus Duke LPs which do not have the cloned headstock (and a few other differences). As always there are special models, custom orders etc that are different.

The current retail price of the Duke LPs is 180k yen, and the Vintage series LPs would have retailed in the 90 to 120k range when they were released.

They are great guitars regardless of the specs. The only way to get one is from this forum, ebay and from Japan, but they are not that common.

Have a look here for some more detail:
http://almosttokai.freeforums.org/bacchus-vintage-series-gibson-types-t54.html

That's great info, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
Is there something similar for bacchus strats?

Thanks Marcus, so they're good!
I was looking for the same kind of info on these strats; when they were made/which specs..
I just can't seem to get that sound I am hearing in my head out of my 1978 Greco SE600. Changed the pots, caps & pickups several times and it's 'ok' now. But maybe that's because I am not really a strat kind of guy :wink:

The Vintage Series Strats, are excellent close replicas of 54 57 62 & 64 Strats, the Yuta pickups are hotter than most strat vintage pickups, but I like them better because of that. IMO for the money they are as good a Strat copy as you can but.

The BLS59's are also great LP copies, if you are after all the anal details like hide glue look elsewhere, but if you want a great guitar then put one on the shopping list!

jacco said:
Thanks Marcus, so they're good!
I was looking for the same kind of info on these strats; when they were made/which specs..
I just can't seem to get that sound I am hearing in my head out of my 1978 Greco SE600. Changed the pots, caps & pickups several times and it's 'ok' now. But maybe that's because I am not really a strat kind of guy :wink:

Some info on them in this section.... MIJvintage is probably one of the most knowlegeable about the brand. I bought the relic below in the first link from him - been playing it ever since:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14061

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14060

History of the brand:

http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/Bacchus%20History.html

That's a good looking piece you got there. I love a white strat with dark fretboard!

I love a fat, warm & glassy sound. Sofar I have come accross the Yuta, Alnico SP & Alnico II. What's the best choice?

Uhm, I think I have taken over this thread, sorry gasman :oops:

jacco said:
That's a good looking piece you got there. I love a white strat with dark fretboard!

I love a fat, warm & glassy sound. Sofar I have come accross the Yuta, Alnico SP & Alnico II. What's the best choice?

Uhm, I think I have taken over this thread, sorry gasman :oops:

Just edited this post..... mine in the BST64-V are the Alnico Specials - as per the catalog page - not the Yuta's as I'd mistakenly stated below:

The Yutas are LOUD compared to the others.... not necessarily hot output, just LOUD.

By far the best sounding strat neck pickup I've ever played. The bridge is equally as good...... lots of mid range and none of the shrillness or thin, brittle sound found on so many bridge pickups..... a very playable pickup.

The middle could use a little more spank to it for my preference - as with the others lots of nice mid range. I still do play the middle position a lot.

The in between positions 2 and 4 sound far better and stronger than any of my Strats..... think VERY Robert Cray.

These pickups are really something else..... makes all my other ones sound feeble.

I was looking for nice strat, wanted to buy Springy ST80 or higher but then JohnA convinced me to buy Bacchus Vintage series....And what happened? Now I have two BST ;)
In my opinion - price/performance strat guitars at the moment.

The only problem with the Bacchus Vintage series Strats is that the necks are very chunky. Well I say problem, I guess that's a good point for many people, but for me it's the only drawback. Tokai Strats tend to have slimmer necks.

Mike

JohnA & MIJVintage are the best people to answer that. I only have one (a BST64V), but I have played one of John's, & I get the impression that Bacchi generally are blessed (or cursed) with larger necks.

The '62's and '64's have what I think are slim necks - C Profile, definetely bigger than some, but about the same as a typical MIJ Fender, the '54's have huge boat necks, and the 57's a chunky but not massive V profile

Of course there is likely to be some variation, I've only played about 10 examples and I have an older Riverhead RST-57 with a huge V neck

JohnA said:
The '62's and '64's have what I think are slim necks - C Profile, definetely bigger than some, but about the same as a typical MIJ Fender,

I guess it's a question of what you consider to be slim! :lol: The Fender Japan comparison might be a good one - I have found that FJs tend to have fatter necks than most Tokais - Springys, Goldstars, Silver Stars. I guess that's a major reason why I prefer Tokais.

The BST64V neck is noticeably fatter than any of my Tokais - and mine are all rosewood board guitars.

ah, so that ain't so easy, huh? what are the physical difference in your opinion between the 2?
btw are alnico SP's the same as alnico II's?

marcusnieman said:
The in between positions 2 and 4 sound far better and stronger than any of my Strats..... think VERY Robert Cray.

marcus, what kind of amp do you use?

Latest posts

Back