Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good guitar repair shops London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadz03
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Good guitar repair shops London Reply with quote

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend me a good guitar shop / luthier around south west London who charges reasonable rates for setting up guitars etc?

I have been to Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience and Hillsound Music and although being very good, they are pretty expensive. I know there is another place called Chandlers Guitars but they are expensive too I hear (though apparently also very good!).

You can PM me any recommendations if you prefer to.

Thanks a lot for any help!
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a good guitar tech in Edmonton, N18, but I guess he's too far away for you?

http://mphguitars.co.uk/

Mike
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm afraid that I can only recommend Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience, as I have had work done on four of my guitars there BUT as you say they were damned expensive - and then some! Basically they are able to charge top end rates as they work on a lot of name musician's guitars (I remember that there were flight cases stamped "Franz Fedinand" when I last visited their shop).

A semi-pro guitarist mate heartily recommends the work of Tom Anfield in Putney at:

The Guitar Tree Luthiery
3a Lacy Road
London
SW15 1NH

Telephone No.: 020 8780 1000

Tompski
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested to see if anyone in any of the shops in denmark street gets recomended on this thread!
strange with so many guitarshops in one area that no one's name is shouted from the roof tops, I too have had work done at charlie chandlers but agree it's well expensive!!!
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tompski wrote:
I would be very interested to see if anyone in any of the shops in denmark street gets recomended on this thread!
strange with so many guitarshops in one area that no one's name is shouted from the roof tops, I too have had work done at charlie chandlers but agree it's well expensive!!!

The last time I checked, Tim Marten was working upstairs in the building that used to be Andys (is it still Andys?), & he knows what he's doing. He used to have a small shop in Hornsey, N8, right by the police station.

But anyone paying Central London rents is going to have to charge more than someone like Malcolm (link above) who doesn't have the same overheads to cover.

Rockers do the set-up work for Regent Sounds, & I wasn't blown away by the work they did on the Tele I bought from them.
BlueThird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Is it still Andys?

Andy's went bust, but? From a rather hazy memory of being there last year, I think it's now Music Ground, or Angel. Great guitar shop, in terms of stock, but I was never particularly impressed by the work they (Andy's) did on my acoustic ? and that was done in what I would guess was their heyday.
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Tompski wrote:

The last time I checked, Tim Marten was working upstairs in the building that used to be Andys (is it still Andys?), & he knows what he's doing. He used to have a small shop in Hornsey, N8, right by the police station.

But anyone paying Central London rents is going to have to charge more than someone like Malcolm (link above) who doesn't have the same overheads to cover.

Rockers do the set-up work for Regent Sounds, & I wasn't blown away by the work they did on the Tele I bought from them.

Yes, Alan Edge (ex-guitar repairer, now concentrating on his more profitable underfloor heating business!!), also recommended Tim Marten. Am I right in thinking that Tim used to be a certain James ("Jimmy") Patrick Page's guitar tech of choice? Tim also runs a spray shop (other repairers subcontract work to him) and did a great job on my ES-130!
Tompski
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHHmmmmm

I have heard Tims name mentioned before maybe I'll try him out.
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tompski wrote:
HHHmmmmm

I have heard Tims name mentioned before maybe I'll try him out.

It's easier to get to Edmonton from East London than it is to Denmark Street, & will cost less too.

stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mole Man wrote:
Am I right in thinking that Tim used to be a certain James ("Jimmy") Patrick Page's guitar tech of choice? Tim also runs a spray shop (other repairers subcontract work to him) and did a great job on my ES-130!

Don't know, it must be 20 years now since I got Tim to rout my MIJ Tele for Strat neck & middle pickups.
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Mole Man wrote:
Am I right in thinking that Tim used to be a certain James ("Jimmy") Patrick Page's guitar tech of choice? Tim also runs a spray shop (other repairers subcontract work to him) and did a great job on my ES-130!

Don't know, it must be 20 years now since I got Tim to rout my MIJ Tele for Strat neck & middle pickups.

Yes, I'm now absolutely sure that I once saw an advert in the classifieds section of a UK guitar mag, Guitarist, thats stated Tim's pedigree. The one thing that put me off booking a guitar in with Tim is that it's not exactly unknown for thieves to break into the Denmark Street guitar stores!! Music Ground (situated just down the road on the same side) once told me that they had a break in and suffered a loss of ?3,000 worth of boutique pedals...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: