Pat McManus Band, Ruislip (NW London), Sun, 09-May-2010

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole Man

Reaction score
HA! I don't believe it, the Pat McManus Band (he of the RD Pickups fame) is actually playing a gig at my local club:

Sunday, May 09, 2010 - Tropic at Ruislip, Middx, UK -www.tropicatruislip.co.uk

EDIT: Because of venue double-booking (boo!) this gig has now been moved just down the road to:

GAA Club
West End Road
South Ruislip
HA4 6QX

Just watched some YouTube footage of his band playing, ZZ-Top's "Sharp Dressed Man", he looks to be a pretty handy Rock/Blues player!

I can't wait! Let's get some forum folk together for a few lemonades...

Best regards,
Darren

He was around in the 70's and 80's in a band called Mamma's Boys....they were a"typically" Irish Hard Rock outfit and wore their Lizzy influences close to their hearts....they even had a fiddle playing bassist.

Ozeshin said:
He was around in the 70's and 80's in a band called Mamma's Boys....they were a"typically" Irish Hard Rock outfit and wore their Lizzy influences close to their hearts....they even had a fiddle playing bassist.

Thanks Ozeshin - I remember Mamma's Boys...didn't he play a Gibson Flying Vee?

I went along to see Mama's Boys several times during the eighties in Ireland. They were three brothers, hence the band name. My mates' band supported them a few times.

Pat played fiddle very well indeed, not the bassist. I considered him a superb guitarist, so he must be even better now.

Pat used to have a lovely white Gibson V. He was always such a nice guy to chat with after gigs, and at the time was a great Ted Nugent devotee. The three guys were great company.

I wouldn't have said they were more influenced by Thin Lizzy than other rockers of the time, but they did include traditional Irish music in their stuff, like Lizzy did. Other Irish bands did the same, notably Horslips, who never really made a mark outside Ireland. I think Pat was an accomplished trad fiddle player long before he turned to rock guitar. I always thought their weakness was vocals back then and I think Pat could do with a good singer now.

If I lived near where he's playing, I'd love to come along for old time's sake..

Thanks Griff - great post.

Yes, Pat did play a white Gibson Flying Vee (them were the days)!

Venue is situated in Ruislip, North West London - would be happy to help re. transport plans, local hotels etc.

The promoter is a Northern Irish chap called George McFall - I suspect that he may know Pat from way back...

Can't wait to see Pat play and I will also take the opportunity to ask him about the RD Pickups P-1 humbucker set that he is using currently.

Best regards,
Darren

When I phoned Pat to see if he would give our pickups a try his wife and manager Sallie answered the phone.

I didn't expect to get talking to the man himself that day but after a very pleasent chat with Sallie she interrupted Pat from his studio and a very long conversation of all things guitars and pickups followed.

The videos on our website are Pats first introduction to our pickups at a gig about 10 miles here and needless to say its about the best we have ever heard coming from a set of our VR-P1's. thankfully Pat was equally impressed with the P1's so we got a set to him just before he left for Europe.

Pat loves his guitars so I am sure if any of you guys introduce yourselves as Tokai forum members and interesting chat will follow as I know he is a lurker both here and on Japanaxe.

you will also get to see a white electric fiddle being played for at least a couple of numbers along with at least one of his guitars equipped with VR-P1's, and with a little luck a set of P-Zero which we will have ready for him to try when he makes it back to Ireland.

I know you will enjoy the gig, both Paul on Drums and Gordon on Bass add to what is a very tight set played by decent down to earth and very talented musicians that are obviously loving what they are doing.

first memories of mamas boys was the "mama were all crazee now" number which had great video which you can still catch on youtube, ...was that a quiet riot number or did they cover it at the same time ???

Declan
RD Pickups

Please note that this the venue has now been moved due to venue double-booking - see first post above.

Seeing Pat again tonight as his band make a welcome return to my local club. Can't wait!

Watch the Pat McManus Band play the Thin Lizzy song Black Rose at The Vibe For Philo 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_EJW2coB0

The Pat McManus Band (Ireland), delivered one of the most professional and convincing evenings of guitar led, original Hard Rock/Heavy Blues that it has been my privilege to witness ever. Lovers of 1970's/1980's hard rockers such as Micheal Schenker, Gary Moore and Pat Travers would have loved this gig!! Pat threw in a spellbinding acoustic reading of Rory Gallagher's "Return Of The G Man", to boot. Those that missed this show should be ashamed of themselves - they missed the proverbial musical boat big time!!
http://www.tropicatruislip.co.uk/

Band web sites:
http://www.patmcmanus.co.uk/
http://www.myspace.com/patmcmanus

Latest posts

Back