Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guys - do you think this is a real tokai?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valere24
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Guys - do you think this is a real tokai? Reply with quote

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80403

The neck looks real to me, but machine heads, pickup, pickgard have been changed. Is there a way to identify the body is from a real Tokai bass?

I'm tempted to make an offer for ?200...

What do you guys think?
Fender32
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's extremely hard to say that that is a geniune Tokai Jazz Sound, but it's actually fairly easy to say that there is nothing (not already mentioned by the seller) which screams "FAKAI" at me .

One way that you can be sure that you're looking at a fake Tokai is when you see a 'slab board' rosewood neck. A lot of Fender copies have a flat-bottomed rosewood fretboard glued to a flat-topped maple neck. Tokai went to the trouble of machining a curved rosewood board and glueing it to a curved neck blank. This bass has that 'rounded laminate' neck and so it is very probably either a Tokai, a high quality Japanese copy, or a real 1964 Fender !

As for offering him ?200, I wouldn't risk it myself . He seems pretty touchy, judging by his reaction to the first post in his thread and as he has stated that he's looking for a trade, I doubt that a (relatively small) cash offer is going to make him very happy .

If that bass is what he says it his, it should be worth nearer ?300, I would say, but then Tokai prices are all over the place at the moment so there's no telling really.

I hope this helps, but I doubt that it really does .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: