Refinish ideas for a mistreated goldstar???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquietcabin78

Reaction score
hello

i new here so bear with me i guess

i just picked up a Goldstar, not sure of the model # ( has #'s matching neck and 2 piece body stamped 1 2 =4, 1 2 =2GS in control cavity, VI satmped pups, cloth covered wire, deluxe tuners, final prospec saddles) it was a sweet 2T burst until the previous owner sanded it down to the seal coat? luckily the neck & headstock where untouched but the headstock was spraypainted black along with the body

luckily all the nasty spray paint is coming off with 0000 steel wool & water and a few hours of work.

any suggestions for a "correct" refinish color?

i'll try to post pics later( i'm at work)

take care & " be excellent to each other"

If it has Deluxe stamped Kluson-type tuners, it should be an ST50 or above. A 2 piece body suggests ST60 or above. Does it have a V neck?

Are you hoping to refinish it in Sunburst? Or do you fancy something less boring? :wink:

Mike

mike

i'd love to redo the burst finish but i don't think i have the skill to do it myself or the funds at the moment to pay someone else to( which is a bummer). i've been thinking burgundy mist so my daughter can rock the tokai 10 years from now

it has a pretty fat maple neck , a 5 digit # on the neck plate

joe

Maple neck? It's gotta be Olympic White hasn't it? The perfect combination - looks good under the lights or hanging on the wall at home. And it never goes out of fashion - unlike Burgundy Mist.

Wouldn't you like it to look like this? (ST60 courtesy of bluejeannot)

IMG_1803.jpg

You really should try getting some strings Marcus - I find they make the guitar sound a lot better.

:wink:

stratman323 said:
What is that Springy? Interesting wear patterns on the board.

It's a first year issue (1978) ST60 with the narrow neckplate. The darkening in the fretboard is a combination of light wear thru the finish and some staining - can't tell if it's in the wood or topical. Further up the neck shows hardly any wear:

030.jpg

i like the Olympic white for sure, . i got more paint off the back of the body and its almost all original burst on the back( tragedy)

not to sound like a dolt but how are you guys posting pics? i'll post a few of the progress

sweet springy

aquietcabin78 said:
i like the Olympic white for sure, . i got more paint off the back of the body and its almost all original burst on the back( tragedy)

not to sound like a dolt but how are you guys posting pics? i'll post a few of the progress

sweet springy

Register with a free picture hosting site like www.photobucket.com , load your pictures there then copy and post the image link here. Would love to see what your working with

Yes we need to see it. You have to load your pics to a pic hosting site such as www.photobucket.com Once they are there, you just give us the link to the folder with the pics. Or you can embed them in the page when you post by using the Img button before & after the link. If that makes sense?

I'm curious to know if it's ash or alder. If the grain is nice, see through white blonde looks great. If you hate relics, you won't like this! Started out as a white Jimmie Vaughan style relic but ended up as blonde when I got a one piece ash body. Seemed a shame to cover the grain up.

136_3677.jpg

137_3702-1.jpg

Or for a more authentic Tokai finish, how about natural? Might look even better with a maple board.

IMG_3600.jpg

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad356/aquietcabin1978/?action=view&current=IMG_1823.jpg

okay i think this should work

i'm a jealous guy over here for sure, thats quite the stash of goldies!

the grain on this one is cool, see thru blonde would be rad, i might leave it as is, you'll see a bunch of burst on the back. the splotch in the middle is spray paint i have yet to scrub off

let me know what you guys think, i need a new pickgaurd for sure

joe
[email protected]

settebello said:
+1 for see thru blondes.

Volker

I assume that comment refers to guitars, does it Volker?

:lol: :lol:

Ah, stop teasing me with that blonde Springy.

aquietcabin78 said:
i'm a jealous guy over here for sure, thats quite the stash of goldies!

the grain on this one is cool, see thru blonde would be rad, i might leave it as is, you'll see a bunch of burst on the back. the splotch in the middle is spray paint i have yet to scrub off

let me know what you guys think, i need a new pickgaurd for sure

The group pic is from a little get-together we had a year or so ago - sadly they don't all belong to me (or to any one person). It was good to see so many Goldies all together though.

Yes with grain like that, a solid colour would be a bit of a waste. I think it has to be white blonde (not the early Telecaster butterscotch blonde). or maybe even natural with a light coat of lacquer over it. And both are authentic Tokai finishes too.

Keep us posted on this one. It's great to see one of these neglected babies being restored with love & care, & I'm sure the end result will be worth it.

8)

Back