Opinions Wanted: Value for Double Trick pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
Greco listed the MSRP for a single Dry Z pickup as 20,000 yen.
IMO the Dry Z has an almost cult like following & status, and the sound is pretty awesome.
There have been several occasions over the past year where a matched set of Dry Z pickups have sold in the $550 to $650 range.

Greco listed the MSRP for a single Double Trick pickup as 18,000 yen.
IMO the Double Trick does not have the hype & the mystique of the Dry Z but to my ears they sound pretty **** nice too.
I don?t recall seeing a matched set of Double Trick pups being sold, and I consider the Double Trick to be rarer than the Dry Z.

Based on the above variables, and of course the ever present 'intangibles', I?m wondering what a fair price range would be for a matched set of Double Trick pickups?
Opinions please? ...................................

hi
never heard the dry Z .... only the dry 1982 .. and they sound super :D :D :D
but if you have a set of Double Trick for sale ,,,, i would like to try them :D :D :D :D :D
all the best
otto

Although the Dry-Z is undoubtably a great sounding pickup, the prices are definitely elevated by reputation an rarity, a set of double-tricks would IMO be lucky to fetch $150 on ebay.

The double tricks are not rarer than the Dry-Z's it's just that there's no incentive for anyone to pull them out of a guitar to sell them.

The price difference is just like the differences netween an EGF-1000 and a 1200 maybe 20% better, but 300% more expensive, not saying an EGF1200 isn't worth the money, but as a player for someone who isn't loaded, the 1000 would be the smart choice.

I think the best thing anyone with a set of double-tricks can do is hang on to them knowing they have a lovely sounding set of pickups that didn't cost them a small fortune :D

I do have a spare set & my current plans are to keep them for a replacement set for another guitar but things always seem to change :-?

would like to have some idea of the $$ value range that others believe is reasonable, just in case these ever go on the chopping block :lol:

hi
if you want to sell them .... you can PM ... :D :D :D
i really would like to try them ,,,, and the PU 2 ,,, a greco pickup i would like to try out ,,,,, :D :D :D
all the best
otto

muccax said:
hi
i really would like to try them ,,,, and the PU 2 ,,, a greco pickup i would like to try out ,,,,, :D :D :D
all the best
otto

PU-2's are really nice pickups too, pretty much the super-real equivalent price-wise of the double-tricks.

JohnA said:
muccax said:
hi
all the best
otto

PU-2's are really nice pickups too, pretty much the super-real equivalent price-wise of the double-tricks.

also have a spare set of PU-2s :) from a 1980 EGF-850 & agreed; they sound very nice :D

one is double white & the other has at least one white bobbin
haven't taken off the cover yet to see what the other bobbin color is but I'm guessing white also .........

I also have the double white set of PU-0 from my 1982 The V copy.
They sound OK but they're ceramic so, I want them re-done, vintage style.
Long term plan for those is to have them completely dis-assembled, and to have them custom re-wound, Alnico re-placement mags, one of the twin screw sets in each one re-placed with slugs, and traditional metal braided wiring :D
I can do everything myself except the winding process :) which I'll have to pay to have that done, and scatter wound 8)

MIJvintage said:
JohnA said:
muccax said:
hi
all the best
otto

also have a spare set of PU-2s :) from a 1980 EGF-850 & agreed; they sound very nice :D

+1.
PU-2 are amazing.
I always wanted to hear Dry Z but there is nothing on Youtube. :/
Some times ago there was a video showing an EGF1800 but it has been remove before I can watch it... -_-

JohnA said:
Although the Dry-Z is undoubtably a great sounding pickup, the prices are definitely elevated by reputation an rarity, a set of double-tricks would IMO be lucky to fetch $150 on ebay.

I agree with John. That being said, I do think they represent a great dollar for dollar for value over the Dry Z's. I've had two Super Real's with original Dry Z's and an ES and an SG with Double Tricks. The Double Tricks lack a little of the sparkle or articulation inherent in the Dry Z's, but they were very nice pups IMHO.

RyanC said:
I agree with John. That being said, I do think they represent a great dollar for dollar for value over the Dry Z's. I've had two Super Real's with original Dry Z's and an ES and an SG with Double Tricks. The Double Tricks lack a little of the sparkle or articulation inherent in the Dry Z's, but they were very nice pups IMHO.

Yes, I also agree that the Double Trick pickups are a great value versus the over hyped & over priced Dry Z pickups :wink:

Comparing the fabled Dry Z in a Les Paul type against the lesser known Double Trick in an ES or a SG could however potentially be somewhat misleading, since the pickups were not in similar type guitars.

My ears have also compared the Dry Z pickups versus the Double Trick pickups, particularly so in two MSV-850 models, each having original respective pickup sets, and each pickup set also never having covers.
Granted these two guitars are made from lumber, which is a natural product that naturally varies, and the guitar?s weights are different by 7 oz., the comparisons none the less were made on very similar guitars.
Yes, there are some differences, but to imagine those, ?little? or small differences add up to the difference of several bill$ upon the purchase of a set of one versus the other is a bit disconcerting.
IMO, the ?little? or small difference is in no way an indication of any real, and/or perceived price difference.
Value is a different story, as value is all about perception :wink:

AFA your statement, ?The Double Tricks lack a little of the sparkle or articulation inherent in the Dry Z's? , do you have any idea why that may be?
I assume the only real difference would be the grade of Alnico magnet but again, that is only an assumption on my part.

Maybe the real lesson here is that the fabled Dry Z pickups are really not worth near as much as many have come to believe they are :lol: and when compared to other less valuable alternatives, are conversely over valued :evil: ..............

I do think the Dry-Z's are worth the money, $500 is less than some new 'boutique' brands, and with the Z's you have some pickups that are something a bit special and rare as well, as sounding great, double-tricks and PU-2's are bargains if you can find them!

MIJvintage said:
Comparing the fabled Dry Z in a Les Paul type against the lesser known Double Trick in an ES or a SG could however potentially be somewhat misleading, since the pickups were not in similar type guitars.

Completely agree.

MIJvintage said:
AFA your statement, ?The Double Tricks lack a little of the sparkle or articulation inherent in the Dry Z's? , do you have any idea why that may be? I assume the only real difference would be the grade of Alnico magnet but again, that is only an assumption on my part.

My thoughts exactly.

MIJvintage said:
Maybe the real lesson here is that the fabled Dry Z pickups are really not worth near as much as many have come to believe they are :lol:

Again, I agree with you. You should sell your pair back to me for $200 immediately. :wink:

Is there any correlation to these Greco pickups such as dry z, screamin 82, etc to Burny pickups such as vh-1, vh-4, etc? Surely they came from the same places?

Charlie Wardick said:
Is there any correlation to these Greco pickups such as dry z, screamin 82, etc to Burny pickups such as vh-1, vh-4, etc? Surely they came from the same places?

I have read that pickups in the Greco guitars were manufactured up to about late 1981 by MAXON, and that in about early 1982 the manufacture of the Greco pickups switched to FUJI GENGAKKI MFG. CO. LTD.

Don?t know if that is correct but that?s what I have read.

Don?t know where the Burny stuff was made ..........................

IMO the visual/physical characteristics of the Burny & Greco pickups are not similar, and the covers don't even demonstrate the same characteristics from aging so, my guess is they do not come from the same maker ..............

MIJvintage said:
I have read that pickups in the Greco guitars were manufactured up to about late 1981 by MAXON, and that in about early 1982 the manufacture of the Greco pickups switched to FUJI GENGAKKI MFG. CO. LTD.

Don?t know if that is correct but that?s what I have read
Correct.
Fujigen Gakki made his own pickups from 1981.

I don't know about Burny's pu....

Thank for the info. It don't mean anything really. I jut figured they all coming out of the same factory back in the day but with different names. I don't really have any greco pu experience other than what I percieve to be totally bottom end in my 1980 Super Power EGC-500. I have VH-1 in most all my other guitars whether they Burny or not. I dig the VH-1. I have set to put in my Greco, but I kinda like whatever us already in there are too.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.fujigen.co.jp/history/&ei=Iz-LS7u9KoyTkAXpt9wL&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCAQ7gEwBA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfujigen%2Bhistory%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26complete%3D0

1981.11 Start pickup in-house production.
1982.4 Fender OEM partnership with CBS Corporation. Started production of Fender guitars.

Latest posts

Back