Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a fake Tokai?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksonburn
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Is this a fake Tokai? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I bought this off eBay, but then started wondering if it was a fake after looking at serial number information and other stuff here on the Tokai Registry. Some of the folks over at the Gear Page forum have said that this may be a Canadian knockoff Tokai made in Korea rather than a true Japanese Tokai or even an actual Korean Tokai. Wondering what you guys thought. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160401124000

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things wrong with that guitar, logo is too thick, the truss rod cover is wrong, the serial number should have 7 digits, the machine heads don,t look right and the cavity route is the wrong shape in the corner where the wiring goes. It is quite possible it is a Canadian fake as it looks like a 2005 model and that also fits the time frame. This all doesn't mean its a bad guitar, just doesn't look original to me. I have seen thousands of Fakes but i don't think i have any pics of the TJ....

Mick
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Git Reply with quote

I live in Canada and i see tokai fakes day in and day out in music stores, classifieds etc. even had one shop owner tell me he got his fakes direct from Tokai themselves, anything for a sale !!!! However i can honestly say i've never seen that model here, not to say it isn't one of the Canadian fakes, just saying i've seen a Metric Ton of them and never seen this one.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a Japanese one, and since when did they have a tummy cut on the back of the body?

Not sure about it, but it looks like it could be a decent guitar anyway?
jacksonburn
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm appealing it with Ebay. We'll see what they say. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: