Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackspack
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Blue speakers Reply with quote

Hi, has anyone tried a celestion blue (or similar) in a 2x12? I have a THD cab, and was wondering about putting a blue in it. I imagine it would sound good, especially at just break-up, but its an expensive experiment?
J
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue speakers Reply with quote

jackspack wrote:
Hi, has anyone tried a celestion blue (or similar) in a 2x12? I have a THD cab, and was wondering about putting a blue in it. I imagine it would sound good, especially at just break-up, but its an expensive experiment?
J

I use 2 Celestion Golds in my 4 x 12 cab and they are verrrrry creamy
jackspack
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jacco. I have heard those golds are amazing. Do they drive well? They are the same price (give or take) as the blues. I am not sure if there higher power handling makes them break up less easily?
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackspack wrote:
Thanks Jacco. I have heard those golds are amazing. Do they drive well? They are the same price (give or take) as the blues. I am not sure if there higher power handling makes them break up less easily?

Well yes, they break up later than Blues but only a little and just as easy, you just need to drive them a bit harder.
I chose the Golds over the Blues in a A/B test because the Golds have more clean headroom and still break up really nice.
jackspack
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, perfect information. What amp do you have? Mine is a univalve so 15w, but it does overdrive quite quick, not a lot of clean headroom, so sounds like the gold may be better. Only new ones on ebay, shame, but have a great guitar shop (hotrox) within a couple of hours and they have both in. Cheers for your thoughts
J
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackspack wrote:
Ok thanks, perfect information. What amp do you have? Mine is a univalve so 15w, but it does overdrive quite quick, not a lot of clean headroom, so sounds like the gold may be better. Only new ones on ebay, shame, but have a great guitar shop (hotrox) within a couple of hours and they have both in. Cheers for your thoughts
J

Interesting amp you have there J. I have hundreds of 50s/60s tubes lying around here and would love to experiment with that amp
What kind of power tube do you use? Maybe you could try a bigger bottle tube to get more headroom.

I use 2 heads simultaneously in a A/B or A+B config with my 4 x 12" cab. Each amp uses 2 speakers (Celestion Heritage 65 & Celestion Gold).
The heads are a Mojave Plexi45 with EL34s (45W) and a DrZ Maz18 Jr NR with EL84s (18W).
jackspack
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when your in Nottingham Jacco, bring a few tubes and I'll organise some music. Ha ha. Yes, its a cool amp. Just got a Mullard el34 and it's a different league from anything else I ever used. I have put a 5751 and an ECC82 as pre-amps (I think); it doesnt distort anywhere near as easily as with 12ax's. Just as it is it is sounding great.
I have heard lots about the Dr Maz, never played one though. Its a marshall type is it? Nice gear you have. The THD never really worked to my liking with single coils but does now.
I am swaying with the celestion gold, despite your recommendation. The cab is very good, I would just like to have an old style alnico in it at some point, just the cost, running a new speaker in time, and perhaps I am being stupid with the quest for the non-existent perfect noise. Who knows hey. Anyway, thanks for the replies
J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: