might have a fake, how do i tell?

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

iainblack
Guitar God

Post by iainblack » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 am

Here is her cousin on the right. My ST55 MB, yours has E pickups, mine has U so there may be a date difference or higher spec e.g. ST60

iainblack
Guitar God

Post by iainblack » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 am

Also notice I have the gull wing string tree compared to the button. The knobs also look new / unaged.

Shame about the tuners, I have a spare set of tokai kluson type if you want to revert!

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:25 am

I'm with the others. 4 digit serial & E tuners suggest an ST60, probably from 1984 as you're in North America. The headstock shape had changed for the US market by 1985, & I'm assuming it was the same for Canada (might be wrong about that though).

Goldstars are more common in the UK, so we could tell you what it might sell for here, but you'll need a Canadian to tell you what they sell for over there.

Two questions. What shape is the neck - does it have a slight V profile to the back? And are there any small paper stickers on the back of the neck?

Should be a nice guitar. 8)

rabies
Plucker

Post by rabies » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:47 pm

thanks for all the replies guys!

and yes, it does have a V profile neck. i like my necks a touch thinner, and i'm not even really a strat kind of guy to begin with, so this guy might be hittin the 'bay in the near future.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:35 am

rabies wrote:and yes, it does have a V profile neck.
It's an ST60 then. I was playing something very similar only a couple of days ago. :wink: