82 Love Rock LS 60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitarist

Reaction score
Can someone give me more info about these guitars?

Nitro?
Wood?
Pickups?

Average price for them?

Thanks!!!

Back in the 80s, anything numbered 80 or above was nitro, the rest were poly. Later, prices went up, model numbers changed, & it all got very confusing.

I'll let somebody else answer the rest.

Mike

Hello kitarist,Still looking for that perfect MIJ lester,how long has it been 4 months,LONGER.... :eek:
The ls 60 from 1982 are quite good guitars,tokai made there best guitars up to 1983-after this the quality seems to slip and so do the specs!
SO FAR SO GOOD :D

A ls60 should be have the following specs
1piece mahogany neck:
2-3 piece african mahogany body:
2-piece center seamed maple top(verneer)
pickups should be tokai paf 57s
14 Degree headstock angle and no fret binding.

I would pay about ?450-?550.What price is it?PHOTOS!PHOTOS!PHOTOS!

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
tokai made there best guitars up to 1983-after this the quality seems to slip and so do the specs!

Is that really true? I've heard it said about the LPs, but I don't believe it's true with the Strats. Why should quality have declined in 1983?

HELLO STRATMAN323,
I Dunno i am just going from all the posts i ve read on this forum concerning the middle year love rocks ,1984 onwards the low ls models.

Maybe someone will actually clarify this?I have a love rock ls80 1980 and is a superb guitar!

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
HELLO STRATMAN323,
I Dunno i am just going from all the posts i ve read on this forum concerning the middle year love rocks ,1984 onwards the low ls models.

MOJO HOBO

Well, your comment was a little vague - I read it as Tokai quality from 83 on slipped. I have several post 83 Tokais that would laugh at that comment along with me.

Yes! I agree i was a bit vague about it?Maybe i misinterpreted what i read
I Knew i should have not posted on this thread!
Marcus! You have or have had far more guitars than me and i respect that you have a greater knowledge than me concerning MIJs.

MIKE,SAME WITH YOU!your knowledge of the tokai brand and st-ss guitars is second none.so sorry!

I was just stating and came to the impression that what a lot of long term members were saying in a lot of threads,Am i digging a whole for myself here! :lol: And you two are going to bury me in it? LOL

I SHOULD JUST KEEP QUITE, ILL LEARN ONE DAY?

MOJO HOBO[/quote]

mojo hobo said:
Yes! I agree i was a bit vague about it?Maybe i misinterpreted what i read
I Knew i should have not posted on this thread!
Marcus! You have or have had far more guitars than me and i respect the great that you have a greater knowledge than me concerning MIJs.

MIKE,SAME WITH YOU!your knowledge of the tokai brand and st-ss guitars is second none.so sorry!

I was just stating and came to the impression that what a lot of long term members were saying in a lot of threads,Am i digging a whole for myself here! :lol: And you two are going to bury me in it? LOL

I SHOULD JUST KEEP QUITE, ILL LEARN ONE DAY?

MOJO HOBO
[/quote]

LOL.... don't be so hard on yourself - you're doing fine and you're asking the right kind of questions. If you keep quiet, they never get answered and you end up drawing your own conclusions.

I don't know all there is to know.... in fact, far from that. I generally learn something new everyday on this forum.

Kitarist said:
Can someone give me more info about these guitars?

Nitro?
Wood?
Pickups?

Average price for them?

Thanks!!!

I tried one just before xmas it was a plain top, I think it was a one piece back I couldnt spot the join if it was there
it was a truly beautiful guitar, amazing tone and vintage feel ,great player great sustain
the seller wanted ?500 inc tokai case

I hesitated a couple of days and when I got back to the seller to say I would buy it he had already sold it
if you can live without fret edge binding I would go for one ,if your looking for authentic les paul tone you wont be dissapointed

Don't beat yourself up mojo hobo! You're right that something similar to what you said has been said on here, so you're correctly reporting what some have said. I'm just questioning whether it's true. At best I think it must be an over-generalisation.

I think villager was one of those who said something about 1983 and quality - apologies if I got that wrong! Perhaps others can elaborate on this point?

mojo hobo said:

There are plenty of people on here who know far more than I do. Like Marcus I learn something new most days.

:D

Fret edge binding :roll:
Over rated...
I have an LS80 from '84 and it's simply stunning...both in appearance and as a player yet it has no fret edge binding.
84 was the transition year for Tokai LS models as they were trying to work out the best "Bang for your buck" features and specs across the range.
So you'll see some lower models with fret edge binding...or the odd one with a 17 degre headstock angle OR there are heaps of LS80 floating around that have no fret edge binding and the odd solid top.
84/85 is the hardest time period for us to identify models IMHO.

YES ,I agree ozzy,you all know about the tokai ls50 from 1985 that i got and posted about here ,It has a body made from alder,i reckon!
I have been playing it a lot lately and it is a fantastic guitar,it really sustains and sounds ever so nice ...
This period 1984-1985 tokai were having problems making money to survive i reckon ,they went bust in 1985.

Maybe that is why the specs for their guitars were all over the place,
TRYING TO FIND A COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION?

MOJO HOBO

And yet the Goldies from 84 & 85 we have over here seem to be consistently good, as good as the equivalent Springys. Peter Mac basically said that in the Guitar mag article, & he is generally considered to be a Tokai expert.

I'm not sure what happened after 85, it's hard to get decent information about that period. I've heard it said they cut costs after 85 with the Strat copies, but I'm not sure if that's true.

The guitar in question is posted on My Les Paul Forum and is for sale for $850 USD w/ nice hardshell.

Kitarist: You'd better take action ............ if you know what I mean. :lol:

a little bit OT

What kind of color is that (is it violinburst? they say its sunburst but its not...)

DS00667466.jpg

It is a sunburst..... darker on the outside edges graduating to lighter in the center.

VF is the color (violin finish). Sunburst also come in cherry, tabacco, etc.

Nice guitar

Holy moses!
That is one sweet tokai ls60,I have never seen a ls60 and colour as gorgeous as that! KITARIST buy that lovely guitar soon or someone else will be very very grateful to bag that les paul.

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
Holy moses!
That is one sweet tokai ls60,I have never seen a ls60 and colour as gorgeous as that! KITARIST buy that lovely guitar soon or someone else will be very very grateful to bag that les paul.

MOJO HOBO

Yeah, no kidding. Very pretty

Kitarist said:
a little bit OT

What kind of color is that (is it violinburst? they say its sunburst but its not...)

DS00667466.jpg
Wait a minute. That's not the 82 ls60 on MLP. What is it?

Latest posts

Back