Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokyo, Round 3!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Tokyo, Round 3!!! Reply with quote

Tickets are booked, hotel reserved. Off to Tokyo at the end of the month.

Can anyone tell me where Retro Bazaar is? I've heard of so many people getting some good finds there so I'd like to check it out.

Jason
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Tokyo, round 3. What a ton of Tokais this time! There were Juniors, ES's, Love Rock's galore, high end, lower end, etc. There were a ton of the LS-160s to be had but DAMN they were heavy mo'fos. One shop I was in that had a lot of them said they averaged between 4.5-5kg. They had extremely nice tops though. As much as I would have liked to get the LS-5 with Holmes pickups that Ikebe had on sale, I ended up coming home with a guitar I'd been eyeing for 3-4 years and all 3 trips to Tokyo - the Edwards JP. Just couldn't pass it up this time.

Pics to follow of that and the sweet Bacchus strat I picked up.

Jason
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shopping work!! The Edwards JP's do look very cool!!

What's the Bacchus, new or old?
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus Strat?

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the Bacchus strat I bought on my trip. The designation is BST-118, which I gather is not a very common model. Pics are not very high-res as they were taken with my iPhone:

The Bacchus is in amazing shape. It has one very small pinead ding through the finish on the top just in front of the end strap button. Other than that, just a very small amount of surface scratching that is impossible to photograph due to the finish. I was on the fence about this guitar as, even though I liked the look of it, I hadn't heard of the model. But TJ did a bit of digging for me (thanks!) and I realized it was a pretty good deal for what I paid.

And a bonus shot of my Edwards JP I picked up as well. I almost left without it again, until I picked it up. What a LIGHT guitar!!!

There were lots of Tokais to be had on this trip and I was really thinking about a Junior DC or a Goldtop with p90s (didn't see one), but two juniors I saw weren't great - little finish flaws and such. On the white one, it had a nasty and easily seen through the finish join in the wood. Anyways, lots of high end models available with awesome looking tops, but HEAVY HEAVY!

I saw the usual suspects - a few Grecos, a few Burnys, a few OBG's, tons of PRS, Fender from everywhere, and Gibsons. The only older Tokai I saw was a ST-50 Goldie in good shape for about 49,000 yen. I might have bought it if I didn't already buy the Bacchus.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my purchases on this trip!!!

Jason
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice..... that Bacchus is very cool - never seen one like it!

Gotta love that Jimmy Page Edwards. Is it the Super Circuit model with the push, pull coil splitting knobs? Best value on the street in my opinion.

Enjoy your new toys..... well done!
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcus. Yes, the JP has the super circuit. As far as the Bacchus goes, I never saw one either, but I did recently see a BST-120, which was very similar but had brown oil finish and gold hardware (if memory serves).

Jason
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willie Style wrote:
Thanks Marcus. Yes, the JP has the super circuit. As far as the Bacchus goes, I never saw one either, but I did recently see a BST-120, which was very similar but had brown oil finish and gold hardware (if memory serves).

Jason

Very nice.... both of them
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marcus, did you ever come across an English version of the super circuit switching diagram included with the guitar?

Jason
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one you want?

marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willie Style wrote:
Hey Marcus, did you ever come across an English version of the super circuit switching diagram included with the guitar?

Jason

No.... mine's in Japanese but it's very clear to understand which coils are active depending upon which pots you pull up..... it's alot of fun discovering the different tonal qualities - all the way from strat tone to T Bone Walker honk tone to Peter Green out of phase tone.

Remember, the coil splitting option is ONLY useable when both pickups are engaged - middle position on the selector switch.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.... sorry
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Remember, the coil splitting option is ONLY useable when both pickups are engaged - middle position on the selector switch.

That's a strange way to wire it.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:

That's a strange way to wire it.

Kinda makes sense.... if you want to use any kind of coil combination between the two pickups, they both need to be active, yes?
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Got a lot of experimenting to do. Now if I can just get the time away...

Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: