Seventies Epiphone Japanese guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peller

Reaction score
hi all,

I just picked up an Epiphone ET-270 out of curiosity, and because it was cheap. I know nothing about their Japanese guitars from the Seventies but I like this a lot. It has a Les Paul style neck bolted to something that looks a bit Strat-like, with two P90s(?) and a roller-saddle bridge with a Jaguar-style tremolo that actually works. Not a high-end guitar but well made, with a one-piece body, and sounds good.

Mine looks exactly like this one:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=146488662&blogId=415356761

Anyone know more about these instruments? All I find on the Internet is endless Kurt Cobain references.

cheers
Sam

Peller said:
hi all,

I just picked up an Epiphone ET-270 out of curiosity, and because it was cheap. I know nothing about their Japanese guitars from the Seventies but I like this a lot. It has a Les Paul style neck bolted to something that looks a bit Strat-like, with two P90s(?) and a roller-saddle bridge with a Jaguar-style tremolo that actually works. Not a high-end guitar but well made, with a one-piece body, and sounds good.

Mine looks exactly like this one:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=146488662&blogId=415356761

Anyone know more about these instruments? All I find on the Internet is endless Kurt Cobain references.

cheers
Sam

The pickups are the same that Univox used in some of their Matsumoku made guitars from the 70's. Chances are that it's also Matsu made (Cobain also favored Univox Hi Flier Mosrite copies)

Go to www.univox.org - very good history on the company and photos.

That's the bird. Mine doesn't have the crescent E logos on the pickguard though. Amazingly, it does still have the original tremolo arm. It also has a strange switch that adds bass (or cuts it in the other position, I'm not sure). Fun guitar, anyways.

Back