Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boss DS-1 with 'pedaldoc' tube driver mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blake375
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Boss DS-1 with 'pedaldoc' tube driver mod Reply with quote

Just a little post to say that I modded my DS-1 recently and it sounds awesome.

My usual setup is Goldstar going into TS-9 going into Blues Junior with the BJ set so it is breaking up and the TS-9 pushing it over the edge.

The modded DS-1 (when distortion level is set low) can be used exactly as the TS-9 in this set up and sounds remarkably like a TS-9, but is a bit more affordable.

The really fun bit is that with the pedal's distortion set high, you can run the modded DS-1 into a totally clean amp and get a sound which is remarkably similar to a TS-9 combined with an amp set to break up, and then some! Awesome tone.

I know there are a lot of home-brew mods for the DS-1, which are probably cheaper to do than buying a kit, but I'm not great with electronics and I thought a kit was a good lazy option. The mod was pretty easy to carry out too.

You also get to replace the original dull red LED with a bright blue LED. As all boutique pedal makers know, changing the colour of a pedal's LED to blue or green always improves the tone.
thepacifist
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Boss DS-1 with 'pedaldoc' tube driver mod Reply with quote

blake375 wrote:
As all boutique pedal makers know, changing the colour of a pedal's LED to blue or green always improves the tone.

Just don't set out to buy one with that in mind. You could be rudely surprised !

and congrats on the mod....
ranjam
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Boss DS-1 with 'pedaldoc' tube driver mod Reply with quote

blake375 wrote:
I know there are a lot of home-brew mods for the DS-1, which are probably cheaper to do than buying a kit, but I'm not great with electronics and I thought a kit was a good lazy option. The mod was pretty easy to carry out too.

You are changing a few resistors, and more likely a few capacitors. That's it. And if you think you're not great with electronics, it doesn't matter of you pulled the capacitors out of your pocket or bought a kit. You still have to solder and not !#$% it up, so you have to know a little. Savor the accomplishment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: