Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any good suggestions for modding a Tokai LS-230
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Any good suggestions for modding a Tokai LS-230 Reply with quote

I just bought a Tokai Love Rock LS-230 with a 5A top and bumble bee caps. It is in the mail so no photos yet. I should have it by Friday.

I am going to change the strap pins to schallers because I have them on my other guitar (Fender Strat) and I also have a nice padded strap ready to go.

I am also thinking of changing the bridge with a tonepros or faber unit. I already have a tonepros aluminum tailpeice ready to be put on.

My other guitars all have Buzz Feiten tuning so that is also something I am considering.

Last, I was also considering locking tuners which are also on the strat and help string changes a lot.

What are some changes you have done to make this guitar even better? Please share your stories with a newbie!
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy a top of the range model like that, the best thing you can do is leave it well alone! Fiddling could well make things worse, so unless there is something that you must change, I would advise you to change nothing.

Buy a cheaper model if you want to mess around with it.

Mike
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Any good suggestions for modding a Tokai LS-230 Reply with quote

billyvasil wrote:

I am also thinking of changing the bridge with a tonepros or faber unit. I already have a tonepros aluminum tailpeice ready to be put on.

Do you really know the specs of a LS230?

Volker
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am not thinking of doing anything too destuctive but I will change the strap pins to schallers so I can make sure the guitar never falls down. What are the specs please inform me.
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=44

Volker
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyvasil wrote:
Well I am not thinking of doing anything too destuctive but I will change the strap pins to schallers so I can make sure the guitar never falls down. What are the specs please inform me.

Grolsch washers over the original pins will also ensure the guitar never falls off it's strap. No need to use those big, clunky, expensive Straplok things.
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the specs are pretty good. Is that what you mean? So don't change anything? But would it hurt the value or the guitar if I changed the tuners to something like the Gotoh Kluson Style Locking Tuners?

I know there are a lot of knowlegable people here and I would appreciate some suggestions or maybe even advice about not doing anything as well. Just trying to learn more about these great guitars.
mattim
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good suggestions for modding a Tokai LS-230 Reply with quote

billyvasil wrote:
I just bought a Tokai Love Rock LS-230 with a 5A top and bumble bee caps. It is in the mail so no photos yet. I should have it by Friday.

I am going to change the strap pins to schallers because I have them on my other guitar (Fender Strat) and I also have a nice padded strap ready to go.

My other guitars all have Buzz Feiten tuning so that is also something I am considering.

Last, I was also considering locking tuners which are also on the strat and help string changes a lot.

What are some changes you have done to make this guitar even better? Please share your stories with a newbie!

Schaller straplock pins allowed, other modifications denied as unnecessary.

Matti

Tokai HES180 2013
Tokai LS-150 VF 2009
Tokai FA 235 VF 2009
Also other 4-6-string instruments
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grolsch washers over the original pins will also ensure the guitar never falls off it's strap. No need to use those big, clunky, expensive Straplok things.[/quote]

First time I'm hearing about that. That's cool. But I do have a set of schallers left over from another guitar I sold recently.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Mod's Reply with quote

I just love my grolsch washers !!!! Can't think of more of a win/win !!!
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tuners on the guitar are top shelf and stay in tune perfectly, it already has an aluminium tailpiece and brass saddle bridge. These guitars are as good or better than most Historics or even custom shop Gibbo's so my advice would be to leave it as it is. If the tailpiece is not sitting flush to the body maybe install some Fabre washers to anchor it to the body but apart from that these guitars {LS-230} need absolutely no modding, besides it will devalue it rather than add any value...

Mick
CliffsComicWorld
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some advise.....Make all the changes you want, de-value it and then re-sell it to me for way less that you paid for it... OR..... LEAVE IT ALONE..
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! You guys are that much against any changes to this guitar?

I am not talking about changing any of the electronics which are all spec'd out great or drilling aimless holes into the top...

I am just wondering if anyone has tried the locking bridges (tonepros or faber) and tuners that retro fit this guitar without harming it in anyway. Tonepros and gotoh make kluson type locking tuners that supposedly drop right into place. Hasn't anyone here tried any of this out?
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you at least want to try this top-of-the-range LP out properly (for at least a few months) so that you know what it's capable of as standard? It might be perfect. If not, & you can identify a shortcoming that will be improved with some sort of mod, fair enough. But why change anything before you know what you're trying to improve on? That seems crazy to me.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no shortcomings with an LS90, can you imagine how good an LS230 is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: