Sound from a Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave jones

Reaction score
I've recently bought this great guitar, (TST 80, 1984 I think), but notice that, when the amp is even slightly in overdrive the G string in particular gives an unpleasant noise - as if two strings very slightly out of tune were being played. A high speed warble would be one way to describe it - perhaps more of a screetch! Sustain is killed and the ears don't fare much better.
I've got 2 amps - same effect on both.
Am I alone?

Try taking the pickups down away from the strings, if they are two close the magnetic field can pull too strongly on the string and interfere with the natural vibration of the thing that I just said.
(Someone has stolen my Thesaurus)

Thanks for the replies. I've done some research on the web and apparently it's called strat-itis. It IS fairly common on strats and copies, and the cure is meant to be to back the pups away from the strings.
Tried it. Didn't work!
I'll just have to learn to play clean!

Same prob with my TST-50, I lowered the pickups and it helped a little, but not much. I'm bummed 'cause I really like that lively sound you get when you put the pickups close to the strings. I've had this prob with other strats but it does seem more pronounced with the tokai. Stronger magnets maybe?

'Stratitis' is much less of a problem with my Tokai Silver Star. This is no doubt due to the fact that the Silver Star has level pickup poles.

g'luck

This may sound a little drastic but if the polepieces on your pickups are raised you can try very gently tapping the offending string polepiece down to the same height as the others. Use something non-metallic & be very careful & don't try it if you are'nt prepared to buy another pickup if it does'nt work! :oops:

Wonderful! Tried the above solution of levelling the poles which has largely removed the problem. Many thanks for the idea. I'm now getting the classic sounds across a much wider range of amp volume and overdrive.
:p

With my Tokai TST80, I lowered the pickups right down to avoid magnetic string pull. Whilst it may not be slightly as powerful, the overall tone is heaps better. :p

keep on pickin'

Peter

I tried that levelling the polepieces trick on an old chinese strat copy and as far as unwanted noises go it's the bomb.
Shame about the wanted noises though as a quick flick to the neck pickup demonstrates that you can be a bit too heavy handed with your tapping. (Still, I never liked the neck pickup anyway)

Back