Tokai Sg - tuning stability?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fratalis

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering new SG85, but i read some statements that sg(notably with 61 like joint) have huge problem with neck/tuning stability

its that true?

cheerz

Hi,
I don't know, I have a SG75 and I never experienced any tuning problems. But I must admit that unlike some of my other guitars I have never gigged with it. (Possibly people bumping in to it or dropping it while the guitar is backstage and stored in a gigbag poses a bigger problem). Of course SG's are known for their relative weak neck joints, but I am always very carefull with my instruments so for me it isn't a problem. By the way, my SG is one of the lightest guitars I've ever held my hands on, the weight is only 2800 grams and it is very resonant.
Regards, Herbert

And I've got a lowly SG43 and it's fine for tuning...no issues whatsoever.

I have several SG's..... no tuning problems at all. What's the huge problem you heard?

SG's are neck heavy and the neck has a tendency to dive toward the floor. Get a good strap with a shoulder pad and you'll never have a problem.

http://mrglyn.blogspot.com/2008/11/gibson-sg-neck-re-set.html

Like that? I don't know how common it is to be honest. I had an SG and mine was fine. I liked it a lot. It sounded great, played well and easily and looked good.

The only reason I got rid of it was because it was so badly balanced, and no matter what I did I couldn't stop the headstock diving toward the floor whenever I let go of the neck.

Other than that, brilliant guitar. But then I never dropped it. Not sure it'd be as strong as a Strat or Tele somehow.

My SG75 is rock solid tuning-wise.

A suede back leather strap deals with the neck diving trouble completely for me. Every SG type guitar I've tried has been neck heavy.

It's a pleasure to play, as being so light it's very easy on my creaky back.

thank You guyz for response

I know the week joint, but I'm not idiot like Cobain to smash every guitar and use guitar like baseball bat.

Hard case for SG +1

I heard that SG get quick out of tune, mostly with bending on .G and .B
I know that neck tends to 'fail' but for me its okay.
Also I played several Epiphones and Gibsons, and when I bend on, from 3rd to 5th fret on strings that I mentioned, they get quickly out of tune.

Have You this?

Mostly I like Les Pauls, but my back don't, so I'm thinking of SG.

cheeeeerz

Listen, if Angus Young can beat the crap out of an SG on a regular basis, bend the high strings all the way across the neck and doesn't have an issue with the neck/body balance, personally, I don't need anything else to convince me that I can plinky plink on mine without worrying about breaking the neck off.

Buy the SG and don't fret (pun intended) over an isolated incident or article you read. There's a reason why those guitars have been around so long. Here's another reason:

GibsonSGP6274931f1.jpg

There's no doubt that many SGs are more flimsy than most other models of guitar. Strength-wise, compared to a Strat or Tele the SG doesn't get near them, but it should stay in tune without any problems. I would suspect nut or stringing problems before anything else if there's a tuning problem with an SG. If it's a situation where the whole thing goes out of tune after a few bends on the B or G strings then I think it might need a truss rod adjustment, or maybe it's a dud?

You may be referring to the neck stability test (?) - pick the low E open and let it ring, then at the same time bend the high E up 1 step at the 12th fret, does the low E go flat slightly? It probably will, and this is just a fact of life with many SGs, and lots of other guitars as well. It's very likely that only guitars with quite fat necks, and/or pretty strong fully dried wood in thinner necks (and both properly set-up) will not exhibit the de-tuning when tested in this way.

And, as you already know, never drop an SG!

Marcus, are you getting a royalty every time you post that pic? Or perhaps some other kind of benefit? :eek:

Mike

Goestoeleven said:
Other than that, brilliant guitar. But then I never dropped it. Not sure it'd be as strong as a Strat or Tele somehow.

Or a Les Paul.

nice one marcus....what a beautiful pair of humbuckers ! :lol:

but you should photoshop a Tokai logo on the headstock !!

At last!

Overally fine guitar. As You can see, not well glued inlays.('Lot of glue' problem, some of You mentioned in other topics.)
Fine glossy logo, but its not important!

For those who think "why platsic part of switch is not in amber color" it was changed by distributor, old one was broken.

Well setup made by Edo Studio - distributor in Poland.

Sound - its what I want. In futre I will change neck pickup. Bridge is fine for me.

And I'm happy for one piece body! :D Its normal for 2007 year of production? I knew that some of SG75 have that, but?

Well sounded, good quality guitar

Latest posts

Back