What was it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willivory

Reaction score
Maybe you saw it. A Tokai Les Paul with a nice vintage flamed maple top sold on Ebay yesterday. It had the Gibson logo on the headstock but the seller admitted in the ad that the original logo had been changed to read Gibson. Very evident from the picture. The Tokai tuner knobs, circuit board in the control cavity, and DiMarzio pickups all pointed to this being a Tokai. The seller was honest about this. Serial number suggested an '81 model, perhaps an early Love Rock. The seller advised me the top was 1/2" solid maple. Again, some nice flame giving it a great old vintage look. Not a laminate. Nicks and dings, however, especially around the bottom strap pin. Relatively clean but played. At $500 I thought this was a good deal. Would make a good player. At $700 I started to balk. In the last hour the selling price jumped from $800 to $1400 and sold at that amount. What am I missing here? An exceptional Tokai with a Gibson logo sells for the price of a Gibson Classic 60 with a Premium top. I don't get it. Maybe somebody out there who say the listing, and I'm sure a number of you did, can explain the selling price. Thanks.

Play one and all will be revealed! I have a 92'Gibson Les Paul Classic that I bought new for $1200 in 92' and two Japanese Love Rocks from 85'that I got for $200 and $250 with case thru people who knew I was a Tokai freak. I'm not going to say one is better the the other but I know my Love Rocks are closer in feel to a real 59' and 60' than my Classic...My friend bought a Gibson 59'reissue in very similar condition to the E Bay guitar and paid $3200 at the last Dallas Guitar Show! Good Hunting!

I guess everything is relative. A Les Paul style guitar with a nice top at $1400 is a bargain compared to what Gibson commands for its Historics, but I wonder if the same guitar with the correct Tokai logo on the headstock would have sold for as much. The buyer completely ignored the fact that the headstock logo wasn't authentic and the guitar had some very noticeable wear. I guess the bottom line is the flame and the vintage appearance of the instrument.

This one got me wondering too. I wonder how many other bidders asked the same question about the maple top being solid. Also it's easy to put a fake logo on any Tokai but probably a lot trickier to reverse the process.

If you're out there buyer, fill us in on the details when you receive the guitar. We're all extremely curious.

The Tokai MIJ copies quality is higher than the US originals. My MIJ tele (new $325.00) is a better guitar than the identical US Fender Custom ($1,350.00).

You have to buy them before everyone finds out about Tokai. In my town no one is buying Tokais so there selling them cheap.

Back