Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why aren't you bothered that it doesn't say GIBSON?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pages plexitone
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Why aren't you bothered that it doesn't say GIBSON? Reply with quote

Ok, probably not an issue if you're on this forum right! But I have buddies that just have to have that Gibson or Fender name on the headstock. All my Nihonjin buddies wouldn't take a Navigator or a Tokai or a Greco if you gave it to them!

And that's cool, I can't fault them for that. I'm that way about certain things too I guess. But guitars, man, I'll play all the good ones. I don't care who's name appears on the headstock!

I have Edwards and Tokai and Fender Japan and Gibsons and they are all cool! I play out with my Tokai LS custom and actually have had guys come up and say "That's a copy!" like it was a filthy thing and I was busted!

My #1 happens to be a Gibson standard that I stumbled into and the stars aligned on the day it was made. Just a '99 swiss-cheese standard but sound and playability-wise it's perfect?! I've had some really really bad Gibsons in my hands too (as I'm sure many of you have). Like the guys in Nashville were drunk!

I'm drawn to Tokai because of their consistency. As I'm sure many of you are. And I have a beautiful flame top for less than what I'd have to pony up for a new GIbbie standard.

http://www.myspace.com/joewgorman
sheetsofsound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you're into trendy labels then get the Gibson. If you're into music get what sounds good. Do you drive a porsche and wear Jimmy Choos too?
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bothered because no matter what the name says my Tokai is the best Les Paul I've ever played.

I'm all about the product, not the name. Some people just don't understand that, and it keeps prices down for the rest of us
Axchisler
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention. My first Tokai actually says Gibson on the headstock. It was so well done it became a buying point for me... That everyone would think it's a Gibbo, then I tell them no it's a Tokai, and then they're like "really?" "No way."

Nope, it's a Tokai .
youami
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of the opposite of most people I guess. I like having an obscure name on my headstocks, Seymour Duncan being my favourite. OK, not an obscure name as such, but an obscure name on a headstock. The idea of having a Fender Custom Shop equivalent guitar for the price of a Mexi-strat appeals as well.

One part of it comes from having lived in countries (Australia, NZ, UK) where the American brands are ridiculously over-priced, leading me to look at cheaper alternatives. The other part is that I'm morally opposed to intellectual property rights, but that is a whole other story.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:

I'm all about the product, not the name. Some people just don't understand that, and it keeps prices down for the rest of us

yeah, same here at the start i was annoyed that all these good brands were so cheap, then i realised it meant i could buy them cheaply so I got over it rather quickly.

youami wrote:
I'm kind of the opposite of most people I guess. I like having an obscure name on my headstocks

yeah, same here.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm morally against intellectual property, in fact I'm probably in favour of it, to a certain extent anyway. If you invent something good, you should be rewarded. I'm just against it when it's used as an excuse for profiteering, and as an excuse to sue/prevent competition.

Last edited by Dave_Mc on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
thepacifist
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be bothered if it said "Gibson".
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
I'm not bothered because no matter what the name says my Tokai is the best Les Paul I've ever played.

Agree 100%
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tokai is a cool brand. If people choose to believe that I play a Tokai because I can't afford a Fender, well that's up to them isn't it? I won't lose any sleep over it.

Mike
pages plexitone
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axchisler wrote:
Funny you should mention. My first Tokai actually says Gibson on the headstock. It was so well done it became a buying point for me... That everyone would think it's a Gibbo, then I tell them no it's a Tokai, and then they're like "really?" "No way."

Nope, it's a Tokai .

man, that's great dude! I should have that done so that when someone goes "that Gibson is awesome" I could flip it over and show the MIJ stamp Ok, I won't do that...but it sounds cool!

http://www.myspace.com/joewgorman
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why aren't you bothered that it doesn't say GIBSON?"

Because I already have a Gibson and happen to think that Tokai are better!
Jockai
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've taken all my MIJ Tokais to a top luthier for a set up over the years

he's seen everything in his time 50's and 60's fenders and Gibsons etc

and has built a few guitars as well ...but he always comments on how well

Tokais are made and often how superior they are compared to the originals

i love them ....
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the way this thread is shaping up is that quite a few of us have actually owned Gibsons in the past so we have had the opportunity for comparison.
So when we say that the Tokai that we own now is a superior guitar to the Gibsons that we have owned...we know what we're talking about.
And the bottom line is as you stated:
Quote:
And I have a beautiful flame top for less than what I'd have to pony up for a new GIbbie standard.

You're getting a replica that is constructed NOT as the modern LP is but as the '59-60 model was for FAAAAAAAAR less money.
OH..and for the record...
I figure if a Tokai is good enough for Billy Gibbons to play alongside of "Pearly Gates" then it's sure as hell good enough for me

Last edited by Ozeshin on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Si Pie
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought I'd bought a Gibson. It turned out I needed new glasses.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'We've put guitar technology back 50 years".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: