Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post your Tokai bass pics, please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makaze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vb-80 fom the catalogue. 1 piece back mahogany, beautiful flame top.
makaze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbigniew
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender32 wrote:
Hi Z and welcome to the forum !

It's great that your Hard Puncher is in such good, original condition - look after it, won't you !?

How much does it weigh, out of interest?

Thanks Fender32!! I'm not the original owner though, I bought it from Japan a few years ago. If you look at the front sideways you can see some scratches on the surface from it being played with a pick I guess.
But I agree, it sure looks good

It weighs approx. 4 kg., sometimes when I'm playing a gig it's good to change to the Tokai from the Blade jazz I have which is considerably heavier.

Your Jazz sounds are very droolworthy, I absolutely love the photos you posted. I sure would like to get one similar to yours one day.
zbigniew
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makaze wrote:
The vb-80 fom the catalogue. 1 piece back mahogany, beautiful flame top.

Great looking bass makaze !!
funkpower
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best sounding bass. As you can see it's in perfect condition, plays great. I really love it!
Pickguard is not original.
Try Tokai basses - you won't be disappointed:)
Fender32
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's really in beautiful condition, Wojtek - much, much nicer than my white one .

The photos are really clear and sharp too - well done !

You asked about the pickguard!? Well, yes, a Fender '62 Jazz Bass Reissue one will fit very well, but you probably find that 3 or 4 of the holes do not line up properly and so you would have to either drill new holes, or you could just glue sawn-off screw heads into the holes where there are holes and just have it held on by 8 screws instead of 11. Just an idea .

Thanks for posting the pics.
SteveDoG
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984... 50 Jazz

todoslosfuegos
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the original poster asked for pics of vintage Tokais, i guess this is nevertheless the right place to introduce to you my precious, a mid-2000s Tokai SEB Jazz-style prototype. One of only two of its kind, and the only one made with an alder body. It's got fantastic Bartolini PUs and dead quiet electronics. I feel really lucky to play this amazing instrument.

On the sides of the body, you can see the strip of cross-cut alder that forms the centrepiece of the SEB body construction. I'm completely in love with this bass. It's got the classic Jazz tone with added colour and richness. Feels extremely responsive and alive.

Tokai get much praise for their older Hard Punchers and Jazz Sounds, but I think they also deserve credit for their newer models and original designs. I really can't say enough about how great this particular bass is.
noisybrother
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: My 1984 Tokai Hardpuncher Reply with quote

Refinished from 'orrible brush painted green!!

'10 Martin OMC-1EL Electric Acoustic
'03 Cuenca Model 20 Spanish Classical
'98 Orville Les Paul Custom
montyyoga
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: 1989 Tokai Works Bass Revolution SuperSeries model TW551. Reply with quote

L. White Pickups, active circuitry, 2xvolume and 2xtone controls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51934282@N04/4779762418/in/photostream/
SpringySound
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tokai Hardpuncher Reply with quote

zbigniew wrote:
Hi all, lovely photos you have here of your Tokai basses :D

This is just making me lust for a Jazz sound bass to compliment my Hard Puncher which you can see below:

Here's a scan from an old ad which was included in an e-bay auction of an VSB 80 bass which identifies my bass as an VSB 60 ltd. ed.

Thanks for posting that -- I used to have one of those and I've always wondered about it as I've never seen another. Bought it new in 1985 or so, so it had the later script logo. Mine had a maple fingerboard like yours, single P-bass type split pickup, cherry sunburst flame maple cap. It was my first real instrument and was great (although I think I replaced the pickup with something active (maybe an EMG?) ... it was the 80s, what can you do?

Used to have a fretless Jazz sound too, the Jaco bass.

Both long gone though ... wonder where they are now.
doudoubass
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i recently sold my '82 jazz sound, because it was too heavy for me (4,4kgs), but i missed it quickly.
So i bought another from yahoo japan!
i just receipt it. It cost me only 305?, shipping included!
here are some pictures of my new bass:

This is a late 1984, early 1985 Jazz Sound TJB-45 in metallic red.
At that time, they changed the catalog, and the TJB60 and higher models were stopped. I think that they used last parts (pickups, pots, bone nut and reverse tuners) to build a few basses like this one and FENDER32's Black Jazz Sound! Finally, i'm lucky! I have got a lowend model with higher species like a TJB60-80, minus the copper plates under pots-pickups and the body. Mine has a 4 pieces alder body, but i don't care about it: it's lightweight (3.6-3.7kgs) and pretty resonant!
The neck is slightly flatter and wider than my old '82 TJB-60 (still 1 1/2'' at the nut), but that's a good thing for me, because i usually prefer PB neck shape.
I changed the pickups for a set of Aero jazz style 1 wich have a more open and clear sound, and put some backelite Fender Knobs.

My only complaint is that this bass came from factory whithout pickguard. a kind of strange Jaco style!

cheers,
David
zbigniew
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tokai Hardpuncher Reply with quote

SpringySound wrote:
Thanks for posting that -- I used to have one of those and I've always wondered about it as I've never seen another. Bought it new in 1985 or so, so it had the later script logo. Mine had a maple fingerboard like yours, single P-bass type split pickup, cherry sunburst flame maple cap. It was my first real instrument and was great (although I think I replaced the pickup with something active (maybe an EMG?) ... it was the 80s, what can you do?

Used to have a fretless Jazz sound too, the Jaco bass.

Both long gone though ... wonder where they are now.

Thank you, I like my bass a lot.
It has a rather fat neck, I don't know after what Fender-P bass it is modelled.
The bass also is light and plays well, apart from the edge of the body digging into my right forearm. I don't know if it has the typical P-bass sound or some variation of it, can you remember how you would describe the stock pickup sound? A local bass player described it as 70's P-bass sound, I don't know if that is accurate. Were 70's P-basses much different than 60's basses soundwise?

z
zbigniew
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doudoubass wrote:
Hi,
i recently sold my '82 jazz sound, because it was too heavy for me (4,4kgs), but i missed it quickly.

At that time, they changed the catalog, and the TJB60 and higher models were stopped. I think that they used last parts (pickups, pots, bone nut and reverse tuners) to build a few basses like this one and FENDER32's Black Jazz Sound! Finally, i'm lucky! I have got a lowend model with higher species like a TJB60-80, minus the copper plates under pots-pickups and the body. Mine has a 4 pieces alder body, but i don't care about it: it's lightweight (3.6-3.7kgs) and pretty resonant!
The neck is slightly flatter and wider than my old '82 TJB-60 (still 1 1/2'' at the nut), but that's a good thing for me, because i usually prefer PB neck shape.
I changed the pickups for a set of Aero jazz style 1 wich have a more open and clear sound, and put some backelite Fender Knobs.

My only complaint is that this bass came from factory whithout pickguard. a kind of strange Jaco style!

cheers,
David

What a great looking Jazzsound ! Are you still happy with it?

z
Koubayashi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doudoubass wrote:
Hi,

cheers,
David

Can be that it is a Jazzsound neck on a Limited Edition body.
The Candy red Limited Edition JB are very common.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: