A question about Tokai hardware.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyKane

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Tokai LS90Q in Heritage Dark Cherry from Rich Tone Music (hard shell case included, obviously), and I have some question about the guitar's hardware. I will want to change the cream pickup rings to black, and change the knobs to gold reflector knobs, so my question is this: will Gibson parts fit Tokais? Or would I have to get japanese parts (is it metric?)?

By the way, this is the one I'm getting:

P1180909.jpg

Think you'll be spoiling the look of it myself ? obviously the cream goes perfectly with the binding and tuners ? but it takes all sorts. Don't think you'll have any problems with pickup rings, but suspect you'll need to get knobs intended for a metric pot.

Believe I'm right in saying that with current Tokais the premium models feature CTS (imperial) pots whereas the vintage models, which yours is one of, use Alpha (metric) pots.

You could always check with Richtone. Since you're buying the guitar from them they might throw them in.

I wouldn't change one thing on that guitar, and definitely not the pickups.

Don't bite my head off but black rings would go with the headstock :-? . Weren't Jimmy Page's black?

Anyway...

BlueThird is right about the knobs, I have both and the ones from the CTS pots would be way to tight. I'm not sure about the mounting ring sizes.

I thought the only latest model quilt top was the LS100Q?

Sweet guitar BTW!

JohnnyKane said:
Hi, guys. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Tokai LS90Q in Heritage Dark Cherry from Rich Tone Music (hard shell case included, obviously), and I have some question about the guitar's hardware. I will want to change the cream pickup rings to black, and change the knobs to gold reflector knobs, so my question is this: will Gibson parts fit Tokais? Or would I have to get japanese parts (is it metric?)?

Hi.....

I recently changed pickup mount rings on an esp navigator and found there are numerous different size pickup rings out there

the two most significant differences were the height thickness of the pickup rings , this matters most on the neck pickup as it cant be too high as it will sit too close to the fret height and choke the string action
and the spacing for the four screw holes must be the same

I bought 3 sets before I found a set that matched perfectly
I would suggest before buying replacement rings that you measure evey dimension of the pickup rings on the tokai and then look for a replacement set that matches in terms of height and screw spacing

also be aware some pickup rings will be angled ,some will be flat , some will fit carved tops , some will fit flat tops, you will also need to match these aspects to the tokai

all rings pickup rings will have the correct aperture width to accept humbuckers, its all the other mentioned measurements that are crucial to match for proper fitting

cheers

What a boring collection of guitars! All the same..... sad.

And yes I would say the same thing if they were all Strats, especially if they were all sunburst.

Thinking about it, that must be a pic from an add selling JP relics. I like DaveWW pic much better :wink: . I wonder which one's Jimmy's fav, prolly the Martins. 8)

http://kozmicblues.webs.com/index.htm

Click the link to his guitars. It's not just one pic it's loads. Even some Mike will like :wink:

Makes a better Sunday morning read than the newspapers :D

Dave

Back