Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LP clones - Tokai, vs. Epi Elitist vs. Edwards vs. Greco?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: LP clones - Tokai, vs. Epi Elitist vs. Edwards vs. Greco? Reply with quote

thoughts?
Elios
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that depends
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played an EPI Elitist.

Love Greco Les Pauls but they are too heavy for me.

Have 4 Tokai Les Pauls (Reborn, LS150 and two P90 Goldtops). Superb. All of them. The LS150 is easily at par or above with Gibson's VOS R8 or R9 models - for about half the price.

Have an Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul. Without a doubt, one of the best Les Pauls I've ever owned - from both a construction and tone standpoint. The icing on the cake is that it weighs in at an amazing 7.25 lbs - NON weight relieved.
Elios
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about Orville?
They're said to be very good. Especially considering the fact that it is just japanese Gibson branch)
jzucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2 edwards LPs I've had didn't have the fatness/sustain of a "real" LP whereas the epi elitist and tokai did...
jzucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elios wrote:
And what about Orville?
They're said to be very good. Especially considering the fact that it is just japanese Gibson branch)

I couldn't fit orville onto the subject line!
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jz, are you meaning vintage Grecos? That could have a bearing on the comparisons as the other 3 are pretty easy to get new or newish.

Also, does it have to be an exact clone? If not, the Bacchus Duke may be another option. Admittedly I have one of these which is a 1956 type Gold Top with P90s, and I think it's a brilliant guitar. There's also the Bacchus Vintage Series which are clones, but they are not all that common any more, and the prices will approach the cost of a second hand R8 in the US at the moment.

I would put the Bacchus Duke/Vintage Series and Tokai LS-150 on the same level as a Gibson Historic. The one spec they lack compared to Historics is a pure lacquer finish - only the top coat is lacquer, although Gibson are now mixing a lot of plasticisers into their nitro so this isn't so important. Vintage Grecos are said to be great, but you got to pay big money for one that doesn't have a veneered top. For me, it's got to be the original recipe, and that also means at least 8.5 lbs in weight, unless it is chambered and I'm buying it as a chambered guitar. Of course a veneered top, or nitro has virtually no effect on the tone of the guitar!

BTW - everybody should check out this guy's (Jz) Youtube pedal demos. He has done some great ones, and given a lot back to the guitar playing community through his efforts. Cheers!
mark1982
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a LP to have some weight to it.

If i pick one up and i think Christ thats heavy then that the start of a great LP. Light LP's (to me) is just wrong and shows a sign of cheapness.

if you want a light guitar buy a strat lol ( i dont like some Gibson LP's as there too light)

So any copy if its got some weight to it its the start of a good copy. But then it has to deliver on tone, build quality, and price.

But when it comes to price, it has to be at a price thats worth buying.
As in no point paying ?1500 + for a Gibson LP copy. as you may as well buy a Gibson.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1982 wrote:

If i pick one up and i think Christ thats heavy then that the start of a great LP. Light LP's (to me) is just wrong and shows a sign of cheapness.

if you want a light guitar buy a strat lol ( i dont like some Gibson LP's as there too light)

So any copy if its got some weight to it its the start of a good copy. But then it has to deliver on tone, build quality, and price.

As in no point paying ?1500 + for a Gibson LP copy. as you may as well buy a Gibson.

To each his own.... a Les Paul doesn't have to be a boat anchor to be a superb guitar.

To me, a 4 hour gig with an 11lb piece of furniture strapped on me is torture. If you're a sit down or recreational player, no biggie.... but I've learned to appreciate a lighter Les Paul if I'm gigging with it.
mark1982
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
mark1982 wrote:

To each his own.... a Les Paul doesn't have to be a boat anchor to be a superb guitar.

To me, a 4 hour gig with an 11lb piece of furniture strapped on me is torture. If you're a sit down or recreational player, no biggie.... but I've learned to appreciate a lighter Les Paul if I'm gigging with it.

granted as with everything in life each to there own.

Maybe when i am older i may want to start thinking about a lighter guitar.
But for now its not affecting me but then again i am only doing 2 1/2 hour gigs twice a week. I dont think i could do 4 hours on stage we may have the songs for it but i dont think my fittness would be up to it. Far to much jumping and rocking out. LOL
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock it, man.... rock it!
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1982 wrote:

why?
RyanC
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

villager wrote:
mark1982 wrote:

why?

+1,000,000
jzucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanC wrote:
villager wrote:
mark1982 wrote:

why?

+1,000,000

Why? Resale value. As much as I dislike Gibson, the market is 1,000,000x bigger than for tokai.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1982 wrote:

For ?1500 you get a Gibson Les Paul Standard, the equivalent of a Tokai LS85/90/95/100.
For ?1500 you get a LS150, the equivalent of a Gibson R8/9 Historic....miles beyond a Les Paul Standard.

In 1977 Tokais were copies, today they're replicas, they have a reputation that's taken 40 years to establish...I'd hardly call that a copy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: