laminated tops

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

guitarboy
Guitar God

Post by guitarboy » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:42 am

I've got a Les Paul (G**son) - Cherry Sunburst, Light flame, NC laquer etc.

It sounds loads better than my Tok.............. NO I can't do it I'd be lying!

It sounds sh1t when compared with my latest LS LTD!

Sorry Barry I tried

:cry:

GB

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:24 pm

I actually prefer the tone of my Historic Gold Top over my Love Rock.

Any takers?

ramsale
Guitar God

Post by ramsale » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:43 pm

I'm playing around with a Heritage LP style Goldtop with the 7 layer nitro finish...and it's great sounding! I don't know how much is the pickups, or the amp, or the body wood, or the thickness of the top, but it sure sounds sweet. My major concern is how fragile the finish is compared to the plastic urethane on most production guitars. I suppose being a little bit more careful and wiping off with a cloth after playing are small prices to pay. Tone is such a subjective personal thing, when you find something you like, or a combination of things that work, it's time to stop all the BS and PLAY! It's easy for me to get carried away with all the tech details and not turn up the amp and annoy the neighbors... (what it's really all about...)
Oh yeah...I also believe there is better tone in thicker strings...

Frank555
Power chords are my friend

Post by Frank555 » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:11 pm

Lee wrote:I actually prefer the tone of my Historic Gold Top over my Love Rock.

Any takers?
Lee, what model Love Rock do you have...are you actually offering it for sale?

loverockerUK

Post by loverockerUK » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:32 am

null
Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cornelius bonobo
Guitar God

Post by cornelius bonobo » Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:18 am

Hey Ramsale Geezer,
I like your style. Fat strings rock. I personally play a custom set which goes (low to high) 52, 50, 48, 38. 38, 38.
They make my fingers hurt. :oops:

ramsale
Guitar God

Post by ramsale » Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:49 pm

cornelius: That's pretty fat. I don't know if I'd have the stones for a set that thick, but it's sure the heaviest set I've ever heard of.

cornelius bonobo
Guitar God

Post by cornelius bonobo » Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:44 am

Yeah, I buy Daddy'Hairy 'O', EFH, (thats Extra f*!%king heavy).
To be honest, sometimes I have to tighten truss rods up so much to compensate for these, that the fingerboard pops off, and that can be a bit of a bummer. I'm thinking of going back to 11s instead. What do you reckon? :roll:

ramsale
Guitar God

Post by ramsale » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:14 am

11s sound like a better bet...

guitarboy
Guitar God

Post by guitarboy » Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:54 am

Don't do it Cornelius!

11's are for whimps!

OK with EFH's you can only play the guitar once every 3 months after the scars have healed but f@#k me that TONE!

The only problem I've had with them is with Strats - sometimes the wammy lets go and fractures my skull and the spring shoot out the back and cobble me nadgers - but for that TONE! it's worth it.

GB

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:06 pm

CB

If you can bend those buggers, you must have fingers like Sausages. By the way, if you've got any old fingerboards you don't want I might be interested.

And if you want that Love Rock Barry, you may have to fight James for it :(

cornelius bonobo
Guitar God

Post by cornelius bonobo » Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:25 am

Sorry Lee I use all my old and broken fingerboards as bookmarks so you can't have them.
Actually I have changed my EFHs for a set of graded barbed wire fencing cable which I have cut down and used as strings. Unfortunately the barbs won't thread through the sustain block properly, which means that when I play standing up I get a nasty bleeding 'rash' on my scrotum. This is all worth it though for that screaming texas wail you get by using such avant garde equipment. The guitar sounds like ^&*(, but I have developed an excellent repertoir of 'Texas screams' to compensate.
As far as having fingers like sausages goes, have you ever tried playing the guitar with a sausage? Don't be so silly. I have fingers like really fat fingers you fool. Actually, now you mention it though, they have started to look a bit like black puddings recently.

cornelius bonobo
Guitar God

Post by cornelius bonobo » Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:27 am

Hey cool, I've just found out that if you type a swear word in it automatically gets replaced with gobbledygook. I wonder how effective the piece of software that does that is. Just how large is the swear dictionary?

loverockerUK

Post by loverockerUK » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:09 am

null
Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

loverockerUK

Post by loverockerUK » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:12 am

null
Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.