Tokai Explorer

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grrr

Reaction score
Been looking for an Explorer styled guitar for a while and this has come up on the bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350272048236&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can anyone shed any light on it and what would be a fair price for it, if I'm reading the serial correctly it dates from 1983. Looking at the catalogues there was EXD model in 84, No catalogue from 83 so unable to check. Anyone know what materials it was made with etc.

Any help would be great.

Andy

Have never played any variety of Explorer in my life, and know next to nothing about that part of the Tokai catalog or any of the more obscure byways, so I'll leave the questions of authenticity and date for someone else to tackle.

But if you want a 'classic' Explorer-style guitar, that isn't it. Headstock, logo, neck construction and bridge are all more suggestive of Fender than Gibson. The current Tokai Explorer is more accurate in each of those aspects, and to be honest I'd expect an earlier eighties model to be more accurate too.

It's certainly not what I'd be looking for in a Tokai, even if it is authentic. It's neither an accurate, high quality replica nor a radical design of their own, such as the Talbo.

I'm not really after a carbon copy, its just more the shape of the body I like. The selector switch is also in the wrong position. I've also been looking at early MIJ Ibanez Destroyers which I like the look of too. Anyone here had one of those?

Andy

If you're in Australia you could get the Explorer linked to above from Tokai Direct; if you're not, it might be worth saying where you are so that someone can offer you some location-specific advice.

No real experience of Ibanez guitars, but I've always loved their basses.

Ah good point, location is either the UK or San Francisco. I live in SF but am from the UK.

You might also check out some ESP Explorers. They made two models; one with a licenced Floyd and one with the LP style bridge and tailpiece. For some reason they made the Floyd model with a set neck and the LP style with a bolt on. :-? I have a friend who has played them for years and loves them. The black or white ones w LP bridge usually command a higher price because of James Hetfield.

These are Korean models, not made anymore but pop up on the bay once in a while. If you're in SF there's prolly a lot of them out that way. The Japanese models are all custom shop and will set you back a few mortage payments :eek: .

BlueThird said:
Have never played any variety of Explorer in my life, and know next to nothing about that part of the Tokai catalog or any of the more obscure byways, so I'll leave the questions of authenticity and date for someone else to tackle.

But if you want a 'classic' Explorer-style guitar, that isn't it. Headstock, logo, neck construction and bridge are all more suggestive of Fender than Gibson. The current Tokai Explorer is more accurate in each of those aspects, and to be honest I'd expect an earlier eighties model to be more accurate too.

It's certainly not what I'd be looking for in a Tokai, even if it is authentic. It's neither an accurate, high quality replica nor a radical design of their own, such as the Talbo.

Totally agree, not much in quality. The ESP's are getting harder to find, the Epiphones and Hamers are pretty nice though. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-Explorer-Guitar-Red-Gibson-T-Bird-Pickup_W0QQitemZ270476690896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef9aac5d0

They're usually $500 plus in good shape, I'd ask about shipping though. What's your price range?

I was looking at the Hamer ones and may get one. My budget is around $500-$600. I might just be able to get a USA made Hamer Standard for that. Also the Ibanez Destroyer, an early 80's one made in Japan, it has the bolt on neck but seems pretty good value. The DT50 is the model, though they did a set neck version, DT300, as played by Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden, though these seem to be very rare.
There's a white ESP on the bay I'm watching that looks pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160373625493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Andy

I'm not very familiar with the new ESP's, but if anyone here can confirm it's made in Japan, rest assured, that is a very nice guitar! Even though it's not a true Explorer, may still go for well over $1000. It's really a "metal" guitar, is that what you're after?

The present MIK Tokai explorers are pretty good, but the necks are pretty clump for my hands.
Old Ibanez Destroyer II's are good guitars but, in my opinion, fetch too much cash for what they are.

I was looking at the white ESP above again and it looks like the real deal.

Check this out- http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/ESP-2009-STANDARD-SERIES-EX-STD-Black-6-String-Electric-Guitar--P3057C426.aspx

If you can pick it up for under $900 you'd be getting a great deal. Not uncommon in this economy. Bone nut, mahogany body, maple neck, slick hardware, EMG 81 and 60...= Sweet guitar. :wink:

Yeah the ESP does look sweet, I'll be keeping my eye on that one, though it may go for more than I can afford right now.
Think an old Ibanez Destroyer might be what I end up getting though as these seem to be going fairly cheaply.

Andy

Yeah keep you eye on that ESP, it might go for much less than we think. If it's still low bid your max in the last few seconds. The Destroyers aren't bad, a friend had a 3 pup Phil Colin model bolt on that was cool, only complaint was it was neck heavy.
I used to play lead in a Metallica tribute, and while I've never owned an Explorer, the guys I used to play with say that ESP will smoke them all including Gibbo's. Don't wait too long tho, the closer you get to Christmas, the higher the prices will get...and won't go back down till about March.
I'll be selling a load of gear myself in the next month and a half, but this economy is scary dude. I only hope I can get back what I paid for it, which is to your advantage in the next couple weeks. After that, you'll be bidding against moms and dads looking for gear for their kids, at least that's what I've seen in past years and am hoping for. :eek: 8)

Good luck

Quote from my good friend at Guitar Center bout white ESP Standard EX... "yup....it's real deal with tags, they retail about 2200 nowadays, steal it if ya can!"

Hell I'm just about sold!

Well I'm hoping that people are thinking about xmas and saving their cash for that, I can then maybe bag a bargain. Fingers and toes crossed. No kids here so xmas is nice and cheap for me.
Still think it'll go for more than I can afford, but you just never know, right ?
Andy

If you don't win the whitey-

My GC friend happens to have an almost mint ESP exp 200 Gun Metal blue Explorer for sale for around $600. Negotiable.

Latest posts

Back