Is this '79 Greco Super Sounds SE-600 a fake?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pAt

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a '79 Greco Super Sounds SE-600 and now I'm wondering if the body is actually from another guitar. The reason for this is that the body has pickup cavities for humbuckers and this guitar only has single coil pickups. Actually in the Greco '78-'79 catalogs there are no Strats with humbuckers. Also the pickups seem a bit too new.

If you have a '78-'79 Greco strat or have some info on why there would be humbucker pickup cavities, please let me know what you think.

se-600.jpg

Here's the guitar

pupcavity1.jpg

Here you can see the pickup cavities. The bridge and neck cavities are clearly shaped for humbuckers.

pupcality2.jpg

And here are the electronics. The pickups look legit on the outside.

-Thanks

by far not an expert, on greco but have been doing set ups for about 20 years the electronic's and pickups look new chinese or korean the pup cavity is sprayd heavy too many srews for the scratch plate .. and it should be alum. the bridge looks bogus too new cheap. the body looks to good to new not that there arnt some 1978 guitars in prestine shape out there but most 30 year old guitars hint at there age

I am sure a expert will chim in these guiys here now there stuff on grecos

60's strats have 11 hole pickguards but they are 3 ply

The body is routed for humbuckers and it looks factory prepared - doubt it's a refin.

That' body's not right for the neck. Is it a three bolt CBS neck to match the headstock or a 4 bolt standard?

marcusnieman said:
60's strats have 11 hole pickguards but they are 3 ply

The body is routed for humbuckers and it looks factory prepared - doubt it's a refin.

That' body's not right for the neck. Is it a three bolt CBS neck to match the headstock or a 4 bolt standard?

It's a 4 bolt neck.

marcusnieman said:
My thought exactly.... except for the 4 bolt thing.
It's "greco original", because Greco strats from 70's (apart from SE800) had large headstock and 4 bolts, if I'm not mistaken.

atha said:
marcusnieman said:
My thought exactly.... except for the 4 bolt thing.
It's "greco original", because Greco strats from 70's (apart from SE800) had large headstock and 4 bolts, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the neck is original. The rest however is not.

Back