Momose MC-2 Strat

Discussion area for Bacchus/Momose/Deviser guitars.
JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Momose MC-2 Strat

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 am

I couldn't wait any longer to post some pics of this beauty! I'm waiting on a pickguard and still have to put the original bridge back in.
Also waiting to find out if the slab board is Jacaranda, it's supposed to be.

Image


Image

Has some fret edge binding similar to the Seymour Duncans:
Image

Here's the bit that will upset MIJ and other purists! (and maybe the 22 fret neck)
Image

I don't know a great deal about what makes a top Strat, but this one sounds great and is very easy to play, so I reckon it's good enough for me. Remains to be seen whether I can be a Strat player or not...
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

soundcreation
Guitar God
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 am

Post by soundcreation » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:56 am

Dude that is quite simply stunning! Personally I think (just going by internet info) that momose are pretty much a cut above nearly everything. That looks like an entire strip of rose wood binding the fret ends! Crazy.

The ash looks amazing and the finish is sooo classy.

As for the headstock I really don't care anymore. (even though my Seymour Duncans have them) In my opinion these japanese guitars out do nearly everything fender has to offer. I like the fact that the headstocks are different because I DON'T WANT a fender. And the momose headstock is totally classy.

Seriously I don't think you'll find a strat any better than that anywhere.

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:30 am

soundcreation wrote:Dude that is quite simply stunning! Personally I think (just going by internet info) that momose are pretty much a cut above nearly everything. That looks like an entire strip of rose wood binding the fret ends! Crazy.
That's exactly what it looks like - strips of rosewood used for neck binding. Could be a problem for re-fretting in the future, maybe have to send it back to Japan for the job because nobody's up to it outside Japan (Lol)?
soundcreation wrote:As for the headstock I really don't care anymore. (even though my Seymour Duncans have them) In my opinion these japanese guitars out do nearly everything fender has to offer. I like the fact that the headstocks are different because I DON'T WANT a fender. And the momose headstock is totally classy.
I agree about the headstock shapes; I'm just happy now that I've found some quality Japanese guitars with their own unique differences. I would buy a Fender Custom Shop, no probs, but I can't afford it. Besides I don't have to afford it with other options available like this Momose.
soundcreation wrote:Seriously I don't think you'll find a strat any better than that anywhere.
Thanks for the kind words, and I suspect this one is pretty good - plays really well. I'm looking to customise it with a black pickguard, but I may have to get it custom made if Deviser don't answer my emails.

You'll remember we were discussing the mystery DS-200/250 with changed pickguard, and while I was messing around with questions on that, this came up so I threw on a bid and ended up winning it. From that you will know what I paid for it (I got very lucky). If I had missed out on this MC-2 I would have bought the DS.

Cheers
Raph
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

youami
Guitar God
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Aussie in NZ

Post by youami » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:56 am

Awesome! I love those Momose strats, even with the wacky headstock.

Glad to see you finally got your strat, even if it isn't a Duncan.

I'd suggest tortoishell for the pickguard, that would look cool. But yeah, you'll probably need a custom made guard as it's slightly different in shape to a Fender.

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9031
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:03 am

Marvelous.... nice catch.

Dave_Mc
Guitar God
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:53 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Post by Dave_Mc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 am

awesome. :)

DaveWW
Guitar God
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 am
Location: North East UK

Post by DaveWW » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:29 am

Lovely guitar. As you say the fingerboard should be jacaranda on an MC2-STD/NJ. Is there some reason you think it isn't?

Dave

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks a lot guys! :)
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:20 pm

DaveWW wrote:Lovely guitar. As you say the fingerboard should be jacaranda on an MC2-STD/NJ. Is there some reason you think it isn't?

Dave
I did find the following info about the 2007 model:
http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/Momo ... 1-STD.html

My MC could be from 2007/06 I don't know yet. Also, I'm can't recognise jacaranda just from looking at it, what's it supposed to look like?
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

MIJvintage
Guitar God
Posts: 2984
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA
Contact:

Post by MIJvintage » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm

edit
Last edited by MIJvintage on Sat May 22, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

MIJvintage wrote:
JVsearch wrote: I'm can't recognise jacaranda just from looking at it, what's it supposed to look like?
here's a link to my 2000 Tokai LS-320
http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... ccbdc29b7a
There are a couple of pics of the Jac' fingerboard; that may help .................
The jac board on yours has nicer figuring than mine (if it is jac), I'll withhold judgement until I've oiled and polished it because it seems a bit dusty and dry at the moment. Is it ok to use normal fret board oil on it?
MIJvintage wrote:nice Momose there; the ash with rosewood should be a great sounding lumber combination.
It's sounding good so far, but I've got to use it in a few other situations to get a proper handle on how it sounds.
MIJvintage wrote:I have a light weight ash body Strat with a slab board neck; one of my best sounding lumber wise :)
I will weigh it at some point - seems pretty light, maybe in the low 3 kg range, or about 7 lbs.
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:41 pm

youami wrote:Awesome! I love those Momose strats, even with the wacky headstock.

Glad to see you finally got your strat, even if it isn't a Duncan.

I'd suggest tortoishell for the pickguard, that would look cool. But yeah, you'll probably need a custom made guard as it's slightly different in shape to a Fender.
Yeah, as I said, I would have bought that Duncan, but I got no answers at all about anything from the guy, and just when I was about to gamble on it, the Momose popped up.

I'll definitely look at the tortoise guard, good suggestion! Hopefully my local guy has a couple of Fender guards in stock and I can just sort of lay them on top to have a look.
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

DaveWW
Guitar God
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 am
Location: North East UK

Post by DaveWW » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:26 am

Hi,

Here's a link to a nice pic of an MC-1 Std NJ (alder body) and an MC-2 STD DX NJ with a jacaranda fingerboard.

http://toguitars.com/gallery-japan/MOMO ... e-003.html

http://toguitars.com/gallery-japan/MOMO ... e-006.html

edit: And also here same as yours:
http://www.tcgakki.com/thumbnails/?p=016948
I'm sure you know, but just in case, the NJ stands for New Jacaranda. So unless that's a clever description of something else it's jacaranda.

Dave

JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:12 am

DaveWW wrote:Hi,

Here's a link to a nice pic of an MC-1 Std NJ (alder body) and an MC-2 STD DX NJ with a jacaranda fingerboard.

http://toguitars.com/gallery-japan/MOMO ... e-003.html

http://toguitars.com/gallery-japan/MOMO ... e-006.html

edit: And also here same as yours:
http://www.tcgakki.com/thumbnails/?p=016948
I'm sure you know, but just in case, the NJ stands for New Jacaranda. So unless that's a clever description of something else it's jacaranda.

Dave
Nice one Dave, thanks! :)

The seller advertised mine as MC-2 STD/NJ (Nat), so it should be jacaranda, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has looked up the current specs and used them to describe a guitar that's a few years old which may have had different specs.

On the plus side, your last link that shows a guitar identical to my one, reveals that my serial is only 12 numbers earlier than the one in the link. If that one is jacaranda then mine probably is too. I'm not really going to mind which wood is used, as it's still a really nice Strat either way!

Raph
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

DaveWW
Guitar God
Posts: 1451
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 am
Location: North East UK

Post by DaveWW » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:46 am

I think the answer about what is New Jacaranda, which they've been referring to since about 2004, is here -

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/kootheguitarist/6010

..................but I'm not 100% sure what is says - perhaps Joe can confirm?

Dave

Post Reply