Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Guitar - Serial no. 0402373
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmarchetti81
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Tokai Guitar - Serial no. 0402373 Reply with quote

Tokai guitar

Please can you provide specifications for below,

Updated picture: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/rmarchetti1/GuitarTokai?feat=directlink

Last edited by rmarchetti81 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate but that is one of the Canadian fake Tokai's that are talked about here quite often lately, it is basically a Dillion guitar and shares the inlays, headstock shape and just about everything else the Dillion model displays. Tokai NEVER made a guitar with these features. It will have a "Make under license" decal on the back of the headstock, NO Tokai's had that decal at all.

This link is a real one.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=109389#109389

Mick
rmarchetti81
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you know what is made out of, e.g fretboard and body ?

thanks
rmarchetti81
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also reading about the dillion they sound like quite respected guitars, is this the case?
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmarchetti81 wrote:
Also reading about the dillion they sound like quite respected guitars, is this the case?

They aren't bad. The fakes are actually known for being pretty decent quality, certainly on par with similar MIK guitars from everything I've heard on here. Some even claim that they are built higher spec than similar priced Tokais, but this is hard to verify because there's no real infomation on them out there - after all, they are illegal fakes.

How much did you pay for it? Sadly the resale value on these things is down the toilet and if you eventually tried to sell it on as a genuine Tokai then you would be committing fraud and can be prosecuted (which has happened before with fake Gibsons, and this forum/community keeps close eye on ebay and the like).
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, the Fakai's as they are called around here are actually quite good guitars and timber wise are probably a little better than the equivalent Tokai. The Korean Tokai at the time were Alder bodied where as the Fakai's were generally mahogany bodied, as far as LP's go i would take mahogany over alder any day....Beware that there are still shops in Canada stocking these things and deceiving the unsuspecting buyer...

Mick
rmarchetti81
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help. I found the reply regarding fraud a little threatening considering I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmarchetti81 wrote:
Thanks for help. I found the reply regarding fraud a little threatening considering I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated

It might be that the seller didn't know either
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmarchetti81 wrote:
I found the reply regarding fraud a little threatening considering I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic.

Sorry, that's my fault and it wasn't intended - but in my defence, people have in the past tried to cut their losses and sell fakes as genuine even after they'd found out otherwise.

If you've only just bought it you should contact the ebay seller, you have excellent grounds for a full refund. If they won't give you one then threaten them with a fraud prosecution

(edit: although they may, like you, have been genuinely unaware so bear that in mind)
rmarchetti81
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, appreciaed it was a while back but ebay should cover it I will contact them thank you
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated

You came to us for information..WE never came to YOU.
You say that you don't know how it's fake from one pic...well WE see these things ALL DAY EVERY DAY...we also see legitimate Tokai so perhaps WE might know the difference.
You say "you'll get it checked out".....who's going to check it out?
We've "checked it out" and given you information....the KEY information that you've been given is that it's NOT a Tokai.
Now..if you had your heart set on buying a real Tokai then by all means quote the Tokai Registry(as MANY sellers seem to do) as stating that it's a fake item and get your money back from the seller.
A better way to have worded your post may have been can you tell me the difference that lead you to the Fakai conclusion...at which point we would have been more than happy to point the differences out to you....civility is a two way street.
Si Pie
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rmarchetti81.

leadguitar_323 provides the explanation as to why it can be identified as one of the Canadian fake Tokai?s. The giveaway is the headstock shape and inlays, which aren?t a feature of the Tokai PRS copies, but is of the Dillion equivalent. I think you?ve probably worked this out by now though.

If you look at the link in the post it should provide you with a bit more explanation as the same question came up the other week.

Is almosttokai.com up and running yet? I can?t seem to find any information on it, or am I being blind?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:
Quote:
I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated

You came to us for information............rant rant rant .........

I think the phrase "thanks though as help appreciated" says it all, ease off Oz, as far as I can see he's being very appreciative of our efforts
Si Pie
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even look at the pic because I'm that damn good.
Goestoeleven
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: